Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lye Soap

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:09 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 247 Total Views

I make my own soap from olive oil, coconut oil, hemp seed oil and lye.
Is the lye still dangerous after the chemical reaction, saponification, or is it then safe?  I tried looking it up online and can't figure out what chemical it "becomes".

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
onyourterms
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:42 AM
Saponification is a chemical process that changes lard and lye into soap. The soap mix is very dangerous at this point. Do not get any of it on you or your clothes. Keep a gallon of vinegar at hand at all times. In fact, before you start to make soap, get that vinegar out and put it right in plain sight. If you get some soap mix on you rinse with vinegar. If you get lye water on you, rinse with vinegar. Vinegar is a strong acid. Lye is a strong alkaline. Mixed together they become neutral. This is chemistry. Wash all utensils with vinegar water when finished.

~ This is all I could find from an article online.... Hope it helps!
MusikMama
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Quoting onyourterms:

Saponification is a chemical process that changes lard and lye into soap. The soap mix is very dangerous at this point. Do not get any of it on you or your clothes. Keep a gallon of vinegar at hand at all times. In fact, before you start to make soap, get that vinegar out and put it right in plain sight. If you get some soap mix on you rinse with vinegar. If you get lye water on you, rinse with vinegar. Vinegar is a strong acid. Lye is a strong alkaline. Mixed together they become neutral. This is chemistry. Wash all utensils with vinegar water when finished.

~ This is all I could find from an article online.... Hope it helps!
Thanks, I knew all that, I make it all the time.  I was just curious as to wether it was "safe" after that reaction or if I am exposing us to something harmful.

~Kate~

http://www.cafemom.com/group/detox

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have"

EKMOM
by Group Owner on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:44 PM
I am glad you posted your question here, I got so busy the other day packing and yelling at kids for help I never made it back to research this. But I have now researched it. What I have found is that lye is fine, it is a pure ingredient and gets accomplished what you are wanting. I also found that mineral salts can act the same and are natural.( I think thats what is in the soap I use), the olive oil and coconut oils are wonderful for the skin as long as they are raw unrefined. Virgin. So I hope that this helps.

Rene'  S.

Come visit my group! Learn how to keep your kids healthy. http://www.cafemom.com/group/healthykids 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)