Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby food

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:44 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 275 Total Views
Im about to start my daughter Anyce on some baby food. Shes been doing the organics rice cereal. I got some of the organics peas. Havent tried them yet. But does anyone make thier own and how do you do it?? Thanks ladies in advance!
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
seoulmom
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:51 PM

i do my own & i use a small food chopper from walmart...but you can use a blender or food processor.  i do everything carrots, peas, green beans, yams, spinach i do a fast blanch just so the veggies are fork piercable but still bright in color.....then i put them in the chopper & if it is too chunky i add v8 to veggies or water & to fruit i add 100% fruit juice & water.  although i dont do apples bc it is easier to just buy sugar free applesauce, i do peaches strawberries anything.  i also will take our dinner like if its chicken veggies & rice, just throw it all in there with a little water & puree until it is the consistency that is right for your child.
hope this helps!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

jerikababy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:57 PM
I have the "as seen on tv" Magic bulett... its like a hand food processor... somes with cups of all sizes, and 2 blades... it a 30 seconds and the job is done, countertop device... i boil or bake foods, and put them in... i started adding rice, chicken, dairy etc... you can add ANYTHING you want... and there as not sugar added, no preserves... etc...

good luck
EKMOM
by Group Owner on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:59 PM
I have used the organic jar food and made mine own with each baby. Always keep a little of the store bought on hand, for those days that I did not have the time, was going out to eat or something. I know that you can successfully store homemade baby food, but I always preferred fresh (I am not a great left over, storer person there's to much stuff happening at a cellular level that i have learned about). Anyway, sorry off topic. Making baby food is really easy. Here's what i have done in the past.

Use a mini food chopper (food processor) or a hand held blender (the boat motor type).
Then I just reserve a little food that I have cooked for the family and puree it. So if we are having roast chicken, sweet potatoes and mixed veggies. I will puree the chicken and potatoes together, and the veggies will be separate but mixed with each other. You may need a little water or chicken broth to help adjust consistency.

With fruit you do the same thing, and you most likely will not need liquid. I always use banana as a base, it has a good consistency and seems to hold things together.

if you want to make it a little yummier you can add plain yogurt or vanilla to the fruit.

You can also grind oatmeal, cook it and then serve that. This way there is still fiber left some. look at the back of a baby food jar or box, there is hardly any fiber.

There is a fiber rule Age plus 5 (Pediatrics Journal), I am a fiber freak. there is a lot to say about the health benefits of fiber even for a baby. So this is good to know. Just take the age for your little one use 1 year plus 5 equals 6 grams of fiber a day. just make sure there is a enough water/liquid being taken in too. So there is my take on it, hope it helps. i know that you will get lots more help on here.

Rene'  S.

Come visit my group! Learn how to keep your kids healthy. http://www.cafemom.com/group/healthykids 

minneapolismama
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM
i bought a baby food processer from babies r us, it was like $20. i also got the book Super Baby Food, and the website wholesomebabyfood.com is great! I haven't started food yet, but ds is 5.5 months and is soo ready! I think I am going to do avocado first, and squash and sweet potato :)
tiggerzshorty
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM
Thanks guys!! you guys have alot of great ideas!!!! 
KAIAROSE4
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 5:38 PM
www.earthsbest.com I love Earth's Best I used to make my own baby food but it got to be a such a burden when I went back to school so I started buying Earth's Best & I don't use anything else.I love it they have plenty of flavors I sure your daughter would love.Check out their website it has a list of all the products they carry  & store locater to help you find the stores that carry it in your area.Anyway Good Luck!!!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
INDIANAMOM
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM
Ok, now this is confusing me, My children were breastfed, then they just ate what I had, I finely mashed it when we started out, then gradually left chuncks to get them usto solid foods.  If we are truely going back to the basics & trying to get our families eating better then I think the old fashioned way is better, do you think they had baby food for the first thousand years?  I also believe since I did this for my children it's why they didn't choke on everything they were given at 18 months compared to the neighbors kids who had nothing but pureed food till then & chocked on everything.  They also tasted a variety of foods this way & now will eat anything I put infront of them, including everything green I fix from salads to brusselsprouts. 

Queen of My Domain

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)