Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News You can Use! Save Your Life....

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:37 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

Protect Your Health and Life From Medical Mistakes

Medical ErrorsUSA Today recently profiled a young Chicago woman who has experienced many preventable medical mistakes first-hand during hospital stays.

Due to a rare, congenital heart condition, this patient makes a trip to the hospital, unfortunately, at least once a month. Because of her experiences at these error-filled visits -- often involving improper testing or being given the wrong medication -- she wears a medical alert bracelet and takes a "resume" (describing her medical history and allergies) with her.

Approximately 34 percent of people say that either they or their families have experienced a medical error. The number rises to 50 percent for those with chronic illnesses, and hospitalized patients experience, on average, at least one medication error a day.

Between 44,000 and 98,000 Americans die each year as a result of medical errors. And while nearly 2 million U.S. patients catch an infection from the hospital each year, and about 90,000 die, only 35 percent of hospital employees wash their hands before touching a patient.

USA Today February 5, 2007

This article goes with the poll post I made a few weeks ago about the number 3 cause of death being doctors. When i made that post not many commented or left their thought. I posted it on a few other groups too, and had the same thing happen. One group, seemed pretty united that we should not hold doctors responsible for mishaps or medication issues, they also pointed out that the number of people who die because of doctor error is nothing compared to the number of people who they save each year. Even though this is true, it does not make the doctors slip of hand any more okay in my eyes. I do not believe that any one of those mothers who posted it would feel comfort in the loss of their child or husband by knowing the same doctor save the mans arm in the next room. So with that said, what are your feelings regarding this matter?

Rene'  S.

Come visit my group! Learn how to keep your kids healthy. http://www.cafemom.com/group/healthykids 

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mountaindrmin
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2007 at 10:54 AM

I'm very surprised no one has responded (except negatively) to your posts. I think many people are aware of this fact and just look the other  way as with many other important issues. I'm with you, it bothers me a lot. My family thinks I'm a little out there or paranoid b/c of the remarks I make about  doctors and hospitals. Although over the years they have seen for themselves what I've been harping about and most have become a little leery themselves. I for one avoid conventional medicine as much as possible but I think there is a time and a place for it. People just need to be informed and careful. I pay close attention in those times and when I get that intuitive feeling, I pay a lot of attention to it and ask lots of questions. I don't just take what they say for gospel that's for sure!

Obviously much of it has to do with MONEY but also it seems like the docs and nurses at hospitals work too many hours and some of these "accidents" probably have to do with exhaustion and impatience. "Give 'em a pill and send them on their way!"

jamie

MoodyMama
by on Jul. 28, 2007 at 8:24 AM

I feel that the medical profession is an option at my disposal if needed.  I also do my homework in relation to the treatment recommended & otherwise and let it be known that how I feel about the recommended tx is a big factor as is communication between me and the medical staff.  I also feel that our medical professionals are overwhelmed with useless information and quite often downright lies ( hence my own homework), but at the same time may have useful, helpful information that I may not yet know about. 

It pretty much boils down to a judgment call.

Case in point - I mulled over the idea of having my children at home instead of in a hosp.   I really, really, really wanted to do it the natural unconventional way, but for whatever reason (gut feeling?) couldn't bring myself to commit to that plan (hubby wasn't thrilled about it either).  My first pregnancy ended up in a miscarriage.  My second pregnancy was with twins, for which I ended up having an emergency C-section. (Would I have been another death due to childbirth without our medical advancements?)

There is a good side and a bad side to everything.  Afterall we are human. 
Unfortunately, trial and error is a form of learning (or is supposed to be).
And I don't foresee the medical establishment just up and disappearing and don't feel that they should.  I do think that people need to take more responsibilty for themselves and their actions instead of blaming everything under the sun first.  Whether or not that happens is up to the individual and there is not a one size fits all way of doing that. 

My rule of thumb:  The golden rule:  treat others as you want to be treated. 

And

Work on your own problems before you start working on someone else's
(especially if your advice or opinion was not asked for).

MoodyMama

rsnowden
by Member on Jul. 28, 2007 at 8:31 AM
I definitely think that some doctors are good.  Yes we are all human and we make mistakes, we just can't be perfect everytime. I think the majority of doctors are money driven and do make wrong decisions and give wrong meds due to money. They are givin an amount of money by dispersing a certain amount of that med.  Anyways-I am not a doctor hater, yet will try to avoid them at all costs. Ear infections scare me the most.
EKMOM
by Group Owner on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Quoting rsnowden:

I definitely think that some doctors are good.  Yes we are all human and we make mistakes, we just can't be perfect everytime. I think the majority of doctors are money driven and do make wrong decisions and give wrong meds due to money. They are givin an amount of money by dispersing a certain amount of that med.  Anyways-I am not a doctor hater, yet will try to avoid them at all costs. Ear infections scare me the most.
Next time your little one get an ear infection try this, I do this whenever any of our kids get it and within 48 hours the infection is gone. I learned it fro a naturalist doc.

First, give the child a half dose of a mild pain reliever for children. This will help with the fever and the pain/headache that comes with the ear infection. Next press 2 large garlic cloves, squeezing out the fresh oil into a small cup or bowl that has warm (check temp on inner wrist) olive oil in it about 2 to 3 tTablespoons. Mix gently and drizzle into infected ear about half the oil. It should have a strong garlic smell. Massage gently the ear making sure that the oil absorbs down into the cavity. Let rest for about 15 minutes or until it has absorbed. Follow up with the second batch within 30 minutes so that the garlic oil is still alive (oxidation of the oils happen quickly and this kills the helpful antibiotics it carrys naturally). Repeat this a 2 time a day for 2 to 5 days.

After the infection is gone check the ear and see if there is an excess of wax buildup. If there is try candling the ear, this will really help pull all the muck out and prevent infection. Also, asses dairy consumption (noted for its ability to cause infections of the ear and more.)

Rene'  S.

Come visit my group! Learn how to keep your kids healthy. http://www.cafemom.com/group/healthykids 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)