Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In need of freezable recipes/ideas!

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 9:54 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 237 Total Views
Hey everyone! I'm in much need of recipes or just ideas on meals I can make in bulk & freeze...I just can't seem to come up with any besides things like veggie lasagna or soups...Any healthy suggestions??

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

<3 Twinmama1231

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
by Member on Jul. 30, 2007 at 12:59 AM

also if you don't have time to make dinner but you know ahead of time..

use that crock pot .. girl!

"Just as a woman's heart knows how and when to pump, her lungs to inhale, and her hand to pull back from fire, so she knows when and how to give birth."

by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 11:12 AM
I make Picadillo a lot and usually serve some and then freeze some.  Depending on if I serve anything with it, I might get three meals out of it for the five of us.  I generally make it with ground beef but any ground meat or soy crumbles can be used.  It's all good.

So when I make it with ground meat:

3 lbs ground meat
1 large onion chopped
4 - 5 cloves of garlic (more if you like garlic) minced
sliced green olives with pimentos
3 - 4 cans tomato sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup white cooking wine (optional)
peas (optional)

Brown the meat (or soy crumbles) with the onions and garlic.  Drain off any fat.
Add cooking wine then add tomato sauce.  It should be really moist but not soupy so you want all the liquids in at the same time so you know if you need to adjust the tomato sauce. Stir in the sliced green olives and add a little of the juice if you want to.  Simmer this for awhile.  I usually start my rice (basmati) and simmer and stir this while the rice cooks.  Add a handful or two of raisins a few minutes before serving.  HOWEVER, I generally take out only what I'm going to be serving and add the raisins to that.  Then when I thaw out the other batches, I'll add the raisins while warming.  Regular raisins work best.  Golden raisins actually taste a bit better but they plump right back up to full sized grapes. If you're adding the peas, just add them toward the end so they'll get warm.  I use about a can or the equivalent in frozen.

I serve this over the rice.  Even my daughter who goes nuts if ANY of her food touches other food loves this.

I'll look around and see what else I have.

by Group Owner on Jul. 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM

I am not much of a freezer person, however I have had many friend and have contemplated putting together a group of moms where we can get together, split the bill and spend one day amonth preping dinner meals for the freezer. there are cookbooks out there that have whole menus just for this and I have heard great things about it. I would alway suggest using better quality ingredients and of course as mush organic as you can. fresh is always best, but we all have times that we need fast. I suggest you g to your local library or book store and see if you can find a cookbook for large freezer cooking and see what they have to offer. i know that a lot of busy moms use the stores that you can go and prepare  so many freezer meals for so much money, but the quality is not there and it costs a lot in my opinion.  The one thing I do freeze is sauces, i will make a large batch of a marinade or pasta or what have you sauce and then put separate amounts in bags so that when I am ready to use them they are there. Sorry I am of no more help than this.

Rene'  S.

Come visit my group! Learn how to keep your kids healthy. 

by New Member on Jul. 30, 2007 at 8:52 PM
Many thanks to everyone!!! Huge helps!! Time to get cooking!!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

<3 Twinmama1231

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)