Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

How much do you have to spend a month on food? 

We get food stamps and for three people get $360 a month. Maybe I don't spend right, but it seems to vanish about a week- two weeks before I get the new stamps. Anyone else have a set amount they have each month, and how do you make it work? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM
Replies (21-27):
LovelyDisaster
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 2:16 PM

So where does everyone get their coupons? I've tried to find some coupons but I always find some for stuff I never buy. I can never find some good coupons.

tiffany_poorman
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 9:24 PM

my mother my boy friend and our daughter all live in one house and we just got back from the store and got a card full of groceries for just one hundred twenty dollars.

marisab
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Quoting LovelyDisaster:

How in the world do you get $289 a month and have 5 kids?? That doesn't seem right. Do you work? Sorry, being nosy... that just seems weird that you get less then I do with more kids.

Quoting lomarey:

I have 5 kids, we only get $289 a month for food stamps. Before we got the food stamps I would only get to spend $200 twice a month, on the 1st and the 15th of each month, my husband is in the military and that is when he gets paid. Now that we get food stamps I am able to spend $300 each pay period.  I dont buy a lot of sweets, I buy generic when ever possible, and here lately I am learning to make things from scratch because it is so much cheaper. And if you have the chance and the money buy in bulk.  Also I have found that shopping at aldi or save a lot is really helpful they have low prices.

ido know diff states give diff amts caus ei get more in wi then my friend in wa with same family size etc

itsnotaboutm765
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I only get $127 and have 3 kids. Some states just don't give alot

Quoting marisab:

Quoting LovelyDisaster:

How in the world do you get $289 a month and have 5 kids?? That doesn't seem right. Do you work? Sorry, being nosy... that just seems weird that you get less then I do with more kids.

Quoting lomarey:

I have 5 kids, we only get $289 a month for food stamps. Before we got the food stamps I would only get to spend $200 twice a month, on the 1st and the 15th of each month, my husband is in the military and that is when he gets paid. Now that we get food stamps I am able to spend $300 each pay period.  I dont buy a lot of sweets, I buy generic when ever possible, and here lately I am learning to make things from scratch because it is so much cheaper. And if you have the chance and the money buy in bulk.  Also I have found that shopping at aldi or save a lot is really helpful they have low prices.

ido know diff states give diff amts caus ei get more in wi then my friend in wa with same family size etc

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Loving wife and mommy to three wonderful babies :O)

ShadowRaven
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

We spend about $300-320/month for 2 adults and 1 toddler. But that includes everything (diapers, toiletries, cat food/litter--we have 4 cats, etc), not just food. And most of the time, that's without coupons. I can usually get store brand cheaper than name brand with a coupon.

The biggest things I do are:

1) Plan out your meals, make a list and stick to it! I spend 2-3 days working on our shopping list to make sure everything is accounted for. If we see something we need/want while we're shopping and it's not on the list, oh freaking well (unless it's a dire need, of course).

2) Stick to the outside of the store as much as possible. The basic staples (meat, produce, dairy, bread, etc) along with many other things are all on the outskirts of the store. Only go down an aisle if there's something on your list that you can't find on the outside. This will help prevent impulse buying.

3) Talk to the employees in the meat dept and find out when they mark down the meat. When meats get close to the expiration date (they're still good, they just need to sell them quickly), they'll put them on clearance. Just make sure you freeze them when you get home so that they don't go bad before you get to use them. There's a Kroger near my mom's work that sells meat cheaper than anywhere else, and on Fridays they mark everything down. I give her $20 every other Friday for her to swing by and pick some up for us (and herself, of course). That Kroger is 30-35 miles away, so the savings isn't worth it for US to make a trip out there...but she's there everyday anyways lol. She can get enough meat to last us 2.5-3 weeks with that $20.

4) Get your store circulars before making your list to find out what's on sale that week. If there's a sale where you can get multiple items for a certain price, make sure it doesn't say that you must buy that number of items. For example, last week our Kroger had avocados and mangoes on sale 10 for $10, but it didn't say "must buy 10", so I was able to get a couple and still get the discounted price with my Kroger card.

5) Compare quantities vs price. Store brand milk has recently gone up to over $2/gallon here. But our Kroger has had their 1/2 gallons on sale 10 for $10 with the Kroger card (once again, it doesn't say "must buy 10") for the last month or so, so I can get two 1/2 gallons for a little bit cheaper than a regular gallon.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

lomarey
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I agree, people think that just because someone is in the military, that it automatically makes them rich, which is so not true! It might be true if we only had 1 or 2 kids, dont get me wrong we get buy, but it would be nice to have a little extra.

Quoting LovelyDisaster:

Wow, that's a crock of crap. Is it just because your husband is in the Military? I know nothing of being in that kind of life. That just doesn't seem right.

Quoting lomarey:

My husbdand is in the Military, i thought we would get more but we dont, and we didnt even qualify for food stamps until I had my youngest.

Quoting LovelyDisaster:

Quoting lomarey:

LovelyDisaster
by on Nov. 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM

It's not that I thought that being in the military makes you rich... I just figured in the military they'd help out more, of if being in the military is actually KEEPING you from getting more? 

But like other people said, different states give out different amounts so maybe it's that. I dunno. I get so much because my boyfriend isn't claimed on my case so they go by just me and my son and I'm not working at the moment, just going to school. That's why I get so much. My boyfriend and I aren't married or engaged, and he's not my son's father, so he isn't claimed.

Quoting lomarey:

I agree, people think that just because someone is in the military, that it automatically makes them rich, which is so not true! It might be true if we only had 1 or 2 kids, dont get me wrong we get buy, but it would be nice to have a little extra.

Quoting LovelyDisaster:

Wow, that's a crock of crap. Is it just because your husband is in the Military? I know nothing of being in that kind of life. That just doesn't seem right.

Quoting lomarey:

My husbdand is in the Military, i thought we would get more but we dont, and we didnt even qualify for food stamps until I had my youngest.

Quoting LovelyDisaster:

Quoting lomarey:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN