Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 8:12 AM
  • 9 Replies

Of a good recipe to make with hamburger? My family is getting sick of the same ole same ole. We tried meat loaf, spaghetti w/meat sauce, hamburgers, ship wreck, goo losh (sp?). Need something different. I am limited though, husband doesn't like mushrooms or eggs. Thanks ladies.

by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momoflilangel
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 8:31 AM

For a super easy night I sometimes mix hamburger with a family size box of Pasta Roni. You could also do tacos or nachos. You could also make porcupine meatballs.

RiverPhenix
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM

What are porcupine meatballs? Those sound good.

Quoting momoflilangel:

For a super easy night I sometimes mix hamburger with a family size box of Pasta Roni. You could also do tacos or nachos. You could also make porcupine meatballs.

momoflilangel
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Quoting RiverPhenix:

What are porcupine meatballs? Those sound good.

Quoting momoflilangel:

If you search them online there are a ton of different recipes but they all are similar. My recipe wasn't the best so I have been looking for another one. The one I am going to try is from Paula Deen. Here is her recipe:

Ingredients

• 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 1/4 cups uncooked white rice
  • 1 teaspoon dried onion
  • 1 teaspoon Paula Deen Seasoned Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Paula Deen Sweet Italian Herb Blend
  • 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 10 1/2 ounce can of beef broth

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup white rice with the ground beef. Add the dried onion, seasoned salt, and Italian seasoning. Mix it together. Roll into 8 or 10 golfball-sized balls. Spread remainder of rice on the bottom of 2-quart baking dish. Pour in the tomatoes and beef broth and stir with a spoon. Put the porcupine balls on top and cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour.

rkoloms
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:45 PM

How about something different with beans or lentils?

Southwest Falafel

Patties
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed) (any bean, canned or 1.5 cups home cooked)
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
Spread - I don't use this part; I mash an avocado with salsa and fat free yogurt (Greek-style is best)
1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
2 tablespoons finely chopped plum tomato
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 (6 inch) pita's, each cut in half crosswise - I use 4 whole wheat tortillas
To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) stir until well combined. Form into 4 (1/2 inch thick) oval patties.
Heat oil in a lg nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 min on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
To prepare spread, while patties cook, combine avocado, tomato, red onion, sour cream, lime juice, and salt. Place one patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons of spread over patty in each pita half

LENTIL TACOS
Ingredients
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
8 ounce can tomato sauce (or home made)
corn tortillas (for fun, use a mix of white, yellow and blue)
1 packet dry taco seasoning mix (or make your own with the recipe below)
handful of textured soy protein, optional (I leave this out)
lettuce (shredded)
cucumber (seeded, peeled, sliced)
tomatoes (chopped)
lemon or lime wedges (optional)
Directions
Cover the lentils with water in a large saucepan. They expand tremendously so use a large pot. Add tomato sauce, textured soy protein, and taco seasoning. Bring to high heat until boiling. Simmer at low heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water if necessary
and stir often so that the bottom does not burn. This process will take about an hour. You want to cook it until it's about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Taste the mixture and add more seasonings if necessary. Add more textured soy protein if you want more texture and continue to heat until the textured soy protein is fully hydrated. In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas in the oven, directly on the oven rack for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
Assemble the tacos as desired. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the tacos... yum!!
This recipes makes a large quantity and is very flexible with the garnishes. Experiment by adding chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, etc. I prefer these without salsa since the taco filling has so much flavor on its own. Enjoy!!
Taco Seasoning:
4.5 tsp. paprika;
1 tsp. cumin powder;
0.5 tsp. oregano;
1 tsp. chili powder;
1 tsp. onion powder;
0.25 tsp. lemon powder (optional, I've never used it);
1 tsp. salt;
1 tsp. sugar;
0.5 tsp. garlic powder;
1 tsp. flour;
0.5 tsp. cocoa powder
Mix all together and store in airtight container. Makes approx. 4 tablespoonful - the equivalent of 1 package of seasoning (enough to season 1 pound of meat or a substitute). This mix is very mild, I add cayenne

Robin in Chicago

elvishprncss
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Do a search at allrecipes.com.  I've found some good stuff there.  Or, try this. 

Taco Beef Skillet

1 pound ground beef

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup  (Regular orHealthy Request®)

1/2 cup salsa

1/2 cup water

6 flour tortillas (6-inch), cut into 1-inch pieces

1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

• Cook the beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often to separate meat.  Pour off any fat.
  • Stir the soup, salsa, water, tortillas, & 1/2 the cheese in the skillet and heat to a boil.   Reduce the heat to low.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Stir the beef mixture.  Top with rest of the cheese.

I use way more than 1/2 cup of cheese.  I usually use at least a 2 cup bag of preshredded stuff.  Super yummy.

tretresmom
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Sometimes I cook some hamburger with what ever spices I like mix in a packet of french onion soup & 1 cup of water & serve over egg noodles. 

kharma
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I'm always lookin for new things to try. I love allrecipes.com and kraftfoods.com ..... there is a good bacon cheeseburger rollup recipe on the kraft site that I like to make. I only followed the recipe once and have tried my own twists on it since then. My family loves it.

How about taco salad? That's quick, easy, and tasty :) And sheppard's pie? I found some recipes for that on the allrecipes site before.... again, just did my own twist on a recipe, put veggies I knew my family would like and added a lil cheese :)  Beef enchiladas. Stuffed bell peppers. hmmm I know I use ground beef alot, just hard to think of what all I do with it I guess.

Proudmumof2
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I made hamburger soup the other night. I browned my beef in a large pot and drained it. Then I diced some potatoes and carrots and added those to the beef along with 1 large can of tomato sauce, 1 large can of diced tomatoes, and a box of beef stock. Then I added 1/2 c of barley and some herbs and spices (I don't remember which ones but it was most likely garlic powder, fresh ground pepper, and Italian seasoning). I let it simmer for about 1 and a 1/2 hours until the veggies were tender. It was delicious - even the kids loved it.

momme22boys
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Salsa chili

1pack chili mix

1lb hamburg

1can kidney beans

1-2 jars of your favorite salsa

Water if you like it thinner

Brown burger, add chili pack, beans and salsa.  simmer for 30 minutes!!  My boys and hubby love this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)