Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any tips for homeade candy?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM
  • 5 Replies

I would love to start making candy but I have never tried. Does anyone make divinity? Any tips, is there a cheat sheet, lol? I would really like to give out candy this Christmas :)

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
grace2joy
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM

My Husband is going to try to make sponge candy this weekend.  He just got all the ingredients.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I have made chocolate in the molds for easter, but I haven't done it for Christmas.

chocolate   lollipop I like candy :)

tdmag
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:43 AM

OK thanks, and me too candy is awesome, lol. ( After I eat my veggies of course )

Quoting grace2joy:

My Husband is going to try to make sponge candy this weekend.  He just got all the ingredients.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I have made chocolate in the molds for easter, but I haven't done it for Christmas.

chocolate   lollipop I like candy :)

mimicheryl
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:16 AM

We make candy for most  of the holidays,we have never tried to make divinity yet. Family and friends just love choc. covered pretzels, and they are easy to make and easy to keep. Just use your imigination and it will be a breeze.

lollipop

PatCarMom
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM

My number one tip for candy making is get a proper thermometer. Most candy has to reach a specific temperature and sustain it for a period of time to turn out right. A candy thermometer helps ensure that it is doing what it should.

Other than that all the tips would vary by type of candy being made. Do you have any thing specific you would like to make?

I plan to make home made caramels and marshmallows this year.

teralg
by on Nov. 14, 2009 at 6:56 AM

I'd also say a good thermometioner (sp, it's early lol)  I've always wanted to make hard candies and put different flavoring in them.  I did find a gummy candy recipe on Kraftfoods.com, they have some good ideas on there.  I usually do all kinds of cookies and fudge, etc.  then I pack them up in little boxes and give them out, everyone loves them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)