Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Anyone NOT do turkey on Thanksgiving?

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM
  • 16 Replies

I don't know if it's a southern thing, but I have only been to one or two Thanksgivings in my life with turkey....we do ham around here, pineapple glazed and brown sugar glazed. I went to my MIL's on Wednesday and a family friend had a turkey basted in bud light- it was very moist and delicious. I have always heard that turkey was dry. I am thinking of trying turkey next year thanks to the delicious one I tried this year? Anyone else substitute on Thanksgiving?

DeLaina,  Wife of SPC Jonathan Craft <3, Mama to daughter Natalee Michelle- 17 months,  and baker of one little bun in the oven-6 weeks!

by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jodie269
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:57 PM

You Bet.  The difference with you & alot of people set aside a Special Day for the Holidays.  when I got together with my Husband we decided that every day was thangsgiving, valentine day & all the rest we combine with everyday of our life. No stress & it is beautifull.

texanmommy
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:08 AM

We do other things too, but always have a turkey. This year we had 2, one spicy, one not. They were both very good. We had ham too...so yea, it is a Southern thang! 

PSMother
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM
One of our pastors said that they always have buffalo (bison) for their Thanksgiving meal! We always do a turkey. Have had it roasted in the oven and also deep-fried. Really liked the deep-fried turkey ~ very crisp on the outside and very moist on the inside! We generally reserve our "ham meal" for Easter. Don't exactly know why, just has always been that way for both of our families and we carry on the tradition.
rkoloms
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM

We don't eat meat, so it is just sides for us.

Robin in Chicago

DogsMom
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 8:54 AM

We had planned on having turkey - actually today instead of Thursday, but the brother bringing the turkey bailed on us and now the whole get together is cancelled. (Or maybe we were just uninvited????) So we are having mashed potatos and lots of pie.

Like you, I was never a turkey fan, did find it dry  and was too afraid to be around one deep fried.                     But I do know not to drop a frozen turkey into hot oil!

Many people substitute the meat.  It is the green bean casserole that is universal.

bam920
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I always do the turkey.  I used one of the cooking bags, it is so easy, quick and I don't find it dry.

Ham we do for easter and Christmas.

JBIRDSLADIE
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Quoting DogsMom:

We had planned on having turkey - actually today instead of Thursday, but the brother bringing the turkey bailed on us and now the whole get together is cancelled. (Or maybe we were just uninvited????) So we are having mashed potatos and lots of pie.

Like you, I was never a turkey fan, did find it dry  and was too afraid to be around one deep fried.                     But I do know not to drop a frozen turkey into hot oil!

Many people substitute the meat.  It is the green bean casserole that is universal.

Now I find that funny I would assume the mashed potatoes to be more universal than green bean casserole..... never even had that until I moved down south!!!!

JBIRDSLADIE
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM

And for the record we had a ham.. cooked on the grill and OMG let me tell you it was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpcCraftsWife
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 2:41 AM

Quoting JBIRDSLADIE:

And for the record we had a ham.. cooked on the grill and OMG let me tell you it was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooh omg sounds wonderful!

DeLaina,  Wife of SPC Jonathan Craft <3, Mama to daughter Natalee Michelle- 18 months,  and baker of one little bun in the oven-8 weeks!

SpcCraftsWife
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

We don't eat meat, so it is just sides for us.

i generally only do ham on thanksgiving, then live off the sides for awhile. i could probably actually live without the ham too. we do our dressing kind of differently, we use crumbled up fried cornbread with chickenbroth(for moisture) along with all the regular fixin's in it...and i could probably live off yams(even though i would be sooo fat with the brown sugar in them!)

DeLaina,  Wife of SPC Jonathan Craft <3, Mama to daughter Natalee Michelle- 18 months,  and baker of one little bun in the oven-8 weeks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)