Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Anyone NOT do turkey on Thanksgiving?

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't know if it's a southern thing, but I have only been to one or two Thanksgivings in my life with turkey....we do ham around here, pineapple glazed and brown sugar glazed. I went to my MIL's on Wednesday and a family friend had a turkey basted in bud light- it was very moist and delicious. I have always heard that turkey was dry. I am thinking of trying turkey next year thanks to the delicious one I tried this year? Anyone else substitute on Thanksgiving?

DeLaina,  Wife of SPC Jonathan Craft <3, Mama to daughter Natalee Michelle- 17 months,  and baker of one little bun in the oven-6 weeks!

by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Replies (11-16):
SpcCraftsWife
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Quoting JBIRDSLADIE:

Quoting DogsMom:

We had planned on having turkey - actually today instead of Thursday, but the brother bringing the turkey bailed on us and now the whole get together is cancelled. (Or maybe we were just uninvited????) So we are having mashed potatos and lots of pie.

Like you, I was never a turkey fan, did find it dry  and was too afraid to be around one deep fried.                     But I do know not to drop a frozen turkey into hot oil!

Many people substitute the meat.  It is the green bean casserole that is universal.

Now I find that funny I would assume the mashed potatoes to be more universal than green bean casserole..... never even had that until I moved down south!!!!

I don't believe I have EVER had green bean casserole?? And I have lived in sw Louisiana my whole life! Don't get me wrong, I LOVVVVVE greenbeans(but only since my first pregnancy, Thanks Natalee for opening my eyes) but have never been exposed to the casserole(exposed haha, couldnt find the right word)

DeLaina,  Wife of SPC Jonathan Craft <3, Mama to daughter Natalee Michelle- 18 months,  and baker of one little bun in the oven-8 weeks!

sapphiresoda
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 4:13 AM

A couple years ago I had my my best friend and her family over for Thanksgiving.  She's deathly allergic to poultry, so I made a spiral cut ham.  This year, I made a lamb roast with new red potatoes and baby carrots.

baby

baby

babies

iHEAVENn
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 2:03 PM

We had turkey, however a friend of ours baked a turkey for like 5 hours Thanksgiving day... Just to realize that him and his family didn't feel like eating it at all... They ended up going out to eat Sushi lol.

Stacey_Mac
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I live in the south and they do Turkey, Ham and Stuff Pork Loin (i think that is whta it is, i dont eat it) around here.

Momof5Teens67
by on Dec. 4, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Personally, I never eat any animals on any holiday because I am a vegetarian, since my heart can't bear to anyone w/ a face, feelings, heart, soul or family. I just eat the non meat side dishes and am fine with that. : D

BUT the entire rest of my family are meat eaters.

I never even heard of anything other than turkey for thanksgiving, it just never crossed my mind. I live in mid michigan and everyone I ever met has that. Turkey isn't dry if it's cooked right, especially the dark meat.

My family always has turkey on thanksgiving and traditionally always has sweet ham on Easter.

jcsafc51
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 1:49 AM

so far, I have never hosted any holiday dinner in my life, Have always gone to family elsewhere; even this year when DH's family was sick, we went to our older DS's and DDIL's.  They fixed a turkey and meatloaf.  We brought a Cumberland Gap boneless ham, cut in 1/4" slices at the store and cooked on Low several hrs. Have always been to dinners with other meats besides turkey.  neither my mom or I ate any kind of poultry and DH also doesn't eat poultry, including what they mix in balogna,hot dogs and other lunchmeats.

DH eats all beef as pork now brings on bouts of gout, ( he can eat a slice or 2 of ham occasionally) and I search out lunchmeats made with only pork and beef; haven't had vienna sausage in over 20 yrs now as noone makes them poultry-free; so the can that says 'original recipe' is lying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN