Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Favorite Christmas Dish

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 8:22 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have been trying to think of festive dishes to make for Christmas day. What's your favorite Christmas dish, either for christmas morning, brunch or lunch. My mom always made pigs in the blanket and cinnamon rolls when we first woke up. I want some more ideas for all day. Thanks! 

by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaisaiUrumaAnma
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Apple cobbler with raisin and cinnamon is really good.

iHEAVENn
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Sweet potatoes with marshmallows.. yumm

And ham. I love ham.

And apple pie.. yum

kyledavidsmom
by Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I might be weird but we do some thing different for christmas. We make things that are not tradionlal.

We make stuffed peppers

stuffed shells

lasnaga

garlic cheese toast

and whatever else any one feels like making

PatCarMom
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM

My Mom makes this dish we call red stuff. It is so yummy and so simple. We serve it every Christmas because it is so pretty.

• 2 large boxes Strawberry Banana Jello
  • 3 cups boiling water
  • 3 ripe bananas smashed
  • 1 can crushed pineapple; well drained or it will not set
  • 1 box frozen strawberries; partially thawed
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (we normally use pecan but walnut works just as well)
  • 1 -16 oz carton of sour cream

Mix the Jello and boiling water until the jello is melted completely.

Add the bananas, pineapple, strawberries and nuts. Pour half the mix into a 9X13 pan and let it chill.

Spread the sour cream over and add the other half of the Jello mix on top. Chill until it is firm. Serve with a dallop of whip cream or just straight out of the pan.

PatCarMom
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Also, my family does not like green bean casserole so I came up with a pretty Christmas alternative. 

Christmas Green Beans

• 1-2 lbs fresh green beans with the ends snapped
  • 1 red pepper; cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 onion; sliced really thin

Layer onto a large flat pan (I use a jelly roll pan.) Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast in the oven at 425* for 10 minutes. Toss and cook another 5 - 10 minutes depending on how tender you like them.

terkm
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 9:49 AM

This recipe is a family fav and we have been eating it for years.  It does not sound good but it is yummy!!

Banana Salad

The amounts aren't exact because it depends on how much you are making so you might have to experiment

Ingredients:

1-2 Tbl Mayo

Spanish peanuts, chopped

pinch of sugar

touch of white vinegar

small slash of milk (just enough to thin it down a bit)

don't slice bananas until you are ready to serve (so they don't turn brown)

Mix all ingredients except bananas

Let sit until you are ready to eat.

Just before serving, slice bananas add to

Lisa0626
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM

In the morning or brunch, we love sweet rolls, fruit, cheese and salami platters, it comes with crackers and jelly and jam, and chocolate candies! The platter is huge and awsome.

Catrin2009
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I have to say my Grandpa's Pecan Pie, and my Grandma's Pumpkin Cheesecake. This was a first at Thanksgiving Dinner this year. My family loved the cheesecake.

jcsafc51
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 2:01 AM

1 year for Christmas my dad gave my sister and I each a copy of a Farm Journal cookbook and about the time I was in jr high or high school,my sister every holiday made a dish I think was called Ribbon Salad from a recipe she found in that cookbook.  It had 3 layers and was in a huge lasagna-style glass dish.  The top layer was cherry red jello, the middle layer was a sweet cream cheese, pineapple and perhaps Cool Whip concoction and the bottom layer was lime green jello.  Very Christmassy looking and pretty.

And it tasted WAY better than it looked.  I loved the stuff.  Probably rated up there with some of the 'instant death' recipes like alfredo sauce.  But it was SOOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!

2-goobersmom
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 4:54 AM

On Christmas morning we have a big breakfast since it is most likely going to be the only meal my kids actually sit down to eat. I make Ham, fried potatoes, buiscuits and gravy, pancakes, and eggs. This has to be may favorite meal all year. Everyone is excited and in a good mood. Then I have a meat and cheese tray, stuff to make ham sandwiches and potato salad that we eat throughout the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN