Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Veggie recipes

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 2:50 PM
  • 5 Replies

I need some recipes for vegetables.  I am tired of just potatoes all the time or plain corn, green beans, peas, carrots.  I need some recipes that are not to hard that would be more interesting and get my family back into eating vegetables again.

baby boy           toddler girl

Aiden 11/24/2008           Meredith 08/10/2007 

by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
iHEAVENn
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Have you tried acorn squash?

My hubby makes it around christmas time.. he bakes it in the oven, and puts some brown sugar on it. It's sooo good.

-:Logan Jacob:-

-:December 1st 2007:-

-:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- 

-:My Everything:- 

holly64012
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Have you tried mashed sweet potatoes. You cut them up and boil them like regular potatoes and then mash them up with lots of brown sugar and butter.

ittikay37
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I put a post on here, a while back, for broccoli casserole. I will put it here again for you. My kids love it and I am pretty fond of it myself. You take a bag of frozen chopped broccoli, a can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup of Hellman's mayonnaise, 1 egg, and 2 cups of cheddar cheese (I actually use 1 cup cheddar and 1 cup mozzerella). Mix together and bake in a casserole dish at 350 for about 45 minutes. It is delicious!

rkoloms
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Here are some recipes that we love!

Everything tastes better with peanut sauce. I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).

Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
1 cup shredded carrot
Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently.

Tasty Stir Fry - this is a great recipe that you can adjust based on what you have on hand
1/2 pound flat noodles (I use whole wheat linguine)
3 tablespoons oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 cup sliced broccoli
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
1/2 cup sliced bamboo shoots
1 cup bean sprouts
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry (you can sub apple cider vinegar, apple juice, beer, etc.)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 1/2 pounds bean curd (tofu, I use firm or extra firm), cubed
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons cashew nuts
2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons green peppers, chopped
Heat a pot of salted water & boil the noodles till tender. Rinse, drain & keep warm on a serving dish. Heat oil in a wok & stir fry onion, broccoli, mushrooms, water chestnuts & bamboo shoots for 2 minutes. Add bean sprouts & fry for 1 minute. Place on dish with noodles. Keep warm. Add a little more oil & fry ginger & garlic for 1 minute. Stir in salt, sugar, soy sauce, sherry & sesame oil. Add bean curd. Fry gently till bean curd begins to brown. Mix together with the noodles & vegetables. Keep warm. Add a little more oil to the wok & fry the sesame seeds, nuts, green onion & pepper till the nuts begin to brown. Use a garnish for the rest of the meal. Serves 2 to 4.

Vegetable Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings
3 cups peeled butternut or acorn squash cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 14-1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15-ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained or 1.5 cups homecookes; any bean will do
1 cup water or vegetable broth
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/3 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (lots of B vitamins and a nice cheesey flavor)
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg or egg replacer
2 tablespoons milk (plant or animal)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 9-ounce package frozen Italian green beans or frozen cut green beans (I hate green beans, so I use frozen chopped spinach)
Paprika
In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine squash, mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, Great Northern beans, the water, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
For dumplings: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, parsley, bakiing powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add to the flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir frozen green beans into stew. Drop the dumpling dough into six mounds on top of the stew. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook for 50 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking.)

Mediterranean Vegetable Stew with Poached Eggs
1 medium onion, halved, thinly sliced
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, bruised
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large vine ripened tomatoes, cored, coarsely chunked
1 bay leaf
1 medium eggplant, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch dice
2 small zucchini, cut in 1/4-inch thick rounds
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese or grated Parmesan cheese, (I use goat cheese)
Layer onion, pepper and garlic in a 4 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, in order listed, up to and including canned crushed tomatoes. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. About 20 minutes before serving, spoon a little of the cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add tomato paste and stir well to smooth. Stir back into stew. Break the eggs into 4 small ramekins or custard cups. Using the back of a ladle, make 4 shallow depressions on top of the stew. Slide an egg into each one. Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes more, until the eggs are done to your liking. Serve some of the stew with an egg on top, garnished with the parsley and cheese, if desired. Serves 4.
I serve this with brown rice, salad; and a nice crispy Greek bread from the produce market.

Mushroom, Red Pepper, and Squash Yakitori
Makes: 12 skewers. Serves: 4 as an entree
YAKITORI GLAZE:
2/3 cup low-salt vegetable stock
1/4 cup sake or apple cider or white grape juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari or braggs
3 tablespoons mirin or dry sherry or apple cider or white grape juice
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
20 large white or cremini mushrooms (about 2-inch caps)
20 l-3/4-by-l-inch rectangular pieces yellow crookneck squash (about 3 medium squash)
28 1-1/2-inch squares red bell pepper (about 3 large bell peppers)
1/3 cup vegetable oil for brushing
Select twelve 10-to 12-inch wooden or metal skewers; if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes and drain before using.
To make the glaze: Combine the vegetable stock, sake, soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger in a medium non-reactive saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and whisk into the soy mixture. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat a grill to medium high or the oven to 450 degrees F.

To assemble: Thread 5 mushrooms, lengthwise (starting with the bottom of each stem), onto each of 4 skewers. Thread 5 pieces of squash onto each of 4 other skewers and thread 7 red pepper pieces onto each of 4 other skewers. Place the kabobs on a baking sheet and brush with the vegetable oil, rotating the kabobs to coat evenly. Place the kabobs on the grill, grouping each type of vegetable for consistent cooking times. Close the grill and cook until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes. (The vegetables have slightly different cooking times, so check them frequently for doneness.) Rotate the kabobs at least twice so the vegetables cook evenly. Brush liberally with the yakitori glaze a few minutes before the vegetables are ready. (Or, place the skewers on two baking sheets lined with aluminum foil and bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, basting at least twice after about 20 minutes.)
Remove from the grill or oven and brush vegetables liberally with the glaze. Serve immediately, drizzled with additional glaze.
Do ahead tips: The yakitori glaze can be made 1 week in advance, The skewers can be assembled 1 day in advance and brushed with oil just before cooking. They can also be cooked as directed 1 day in advance and reheated just before serving. NOTE: I also use onion, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, sweet potatoes, whatever is fresh and on-hand. You can also add tempeh, extra firm tofu, seitan, etc.

Vegetables for dessert: Sweet Potato Pudding

6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered

1/2 cup butter, melted

2/3 cup dark brown sugar

2/3 cup white sugar

4 eggs, beaten

2/3 cup orange juice

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash.

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, orange juice and vanilla until smooth. Pour into prepared dish.

Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes.

Notes: instead of the sugar and orange juice, I use ½ can of sweetened condensed milk; instead of the vanilla I use a really good dark rum. If you use rum be sure to taste it frequently to make sure that it has not spoiled

Robin in Chicago

faith506
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Kids love to get involved, and will eat what they make.  Here are some easy Shmeasy ways to add veggies to anything.

Bag of frozen Steam fresh birds eye vegetables, they come in all flavors and types and can go on the side of every meal

or you can add it to macaroni cheeze. 

add veggies to rice and teriyaki sauce

Make  veggie top pizza's.  Cut up the pizza dough small enough for a personal size for each kid, use a jar of  red pizza sauce or alfredo sauce, cheese and top with broccoli, olives, peppers, onions, any other kind of veggie . 

Same with making a salad, put out a bunch of small bowls with chopped up veggies, nuts and an assortment of different salad dressings. 

Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN