Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mexican Lasagna

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am going to try this tonight.  I will let you know how it turns out.  It looks yummy! (I thought I posted this already,but I guess I didn't hit submit..so, if there is another post floating around out there...sorry lol)

Mexican Lasagna

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Prep Time:
10 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
20 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
4 servings

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 pounds ground chicken breast, available in the packaged meats case
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
  • 1 cup medium heat taco sauce or 1 (14-oz) can stewed or fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • Salt
  • 8 (8 inch) spinach flour tortillas, available on dairy aisle of market
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or shredded pepper jack
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil - twice around the pan. Add chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, and red onion. Brown the meat, 5 minutes. Add taco sauce or stewed or fire roasted tomatoes. Add black beans and corn. Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.

Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with the scallions

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/mexican-lasagna-recipe/index.html

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Ok, this came out okay.  It was a little "blah" for me.  It needed something and I am not sure what that is.  It is definitely a recipe that can be worked with though. 

rkoloms
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:13 AM

My daughter calls this Mexican lasagna. It is really tasty; I add a bit extra of all of the spices:

MEXICAN BEANS AND PASTA BAKE

1 med. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2" segment hot chili pepper, minced or 1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 qt. undrained canned diced tomatoes
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 c. uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni or other pasta broken into pieces
3/4 c. frozen or canned corn

3/4 c. diced zucchini

3 c. cooked pink or black beans (or two cans)
1/2 c. sliced black olives
1 c. broken taco shells or tortilla chips
1 c. shredded Jack cheese or cheese of your choice

In a skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray (I use olive oil) sauté onion, garlic and hot pepper for about 3 minutes to soften. Add chili powder and cook briefly. Add tomatoes, oregano and cumin and bring to a boil. Add pasta, corn and zucchini and simmer 15 minutes until pasta is just tender. Stir in beans and olives. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer bean mixture to a shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with taco shells or tortilla chips and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes to melt cheese. If casserole is assembled in advance and chilled, increase baking time to 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with sour cream at the table.

Robin in Chicago

tdmag
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 6:29 PM

This sounds good, im going to try it!

Bmat
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Thank you for the recipe and the review. I am always looking for easy recipes. Probably a bit bland would please my husband, he doesn't like spicy foods.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

bhwrn1
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:15 PM

How about some cilantro and chili powder?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)