Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Budget Friendly Diet Recipes!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:37 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi Everyone!

With the Holidays over and New Years resolutions being made, I thought some budget friendly and diet friendly recipes might be welcome!

This list has great recipes for homemade yogurt, chilled tomato soup with lime and cilantro, a great tandoori chicken that is a snap to prepare, low fat crunchy catfish nuggets w/low fat tartar sauce, even a low carb Chocolate Pot de Crème (fancy chocolate pudding) the calorie count on this decadent chocolate fix comes in at less than 275 calories a serving.

All of these are very budget friendly. Let me know what you think of them!

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-18034-Nashville-Budget-Meals-Examiner~y2010m1d3-Diet-budget-friendly-Recipe-guide-to-budget-diet-food

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
PSMother
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:19 PM
Dieting is all about eating healthy, and you're right, healthy food can be expensive! But if you remember to buy fresh and in bulk (sometimes) you can save money. For example, if your grocery store is running a buy one, get one free sale on meat take advantage of it! You can buy 2 beef roasts and cut them up yourself for stew or whatever other recipes you may have. Buy canned or frozen in place of fresh fruits and veggies if they are less expensive ~ just remember to check the canned items for added sugars, carbs, and salt. Rule of thumb is to have twice as many fruits and veggies on your plate as meats and carbs. And my favorite: check the labels and buy items with NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! I attest to the fact that I've kept off my 10 pounds without dieting or exercise just by watching my labels. There is lots of proof on the web about the disastrous effects of HFCS on our bodies. It actually sabotages our dieting! There ARE breads, yogurts, and even Log Cabin syrup made without HFCS. You have to look. It's always best to go with natural ingredients when we eat. We just have to watch how much and what kind of foods we eat.
rkoloms
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:29 AM

I have to disagree with the previous poster; healthy foods do not cost more! Cooking from scratch with whole grains, dried lentils, etc. is cheap and healthy!

And to OP: does the Examiner pay by the post or by the view?

Robin in Chicago

MrsDavid
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

And to OP: does the Examiner pay by the post or by the view?

I believe Examiner pays by the view.....cool little racket huh?

Stepmothering is hard, find REAL support here: 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/30383

Are you a step mother raising your step children?  http://www.cafemom.com/group/imraisingherkid

Beth497
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Hi Ladies!

I agree that cooking from scratch and in bulk can be cheaper, it is also cheaper in terms of health!

Examiner does pay by the view.....however it is less than one cent per view. And some views do not "count" ,so examiners are dedicated folks who love to write and hope  their content is of some use to others. "Racket?" not sure what you mean but at less than $100.00 a month average Examiners are not racking in big bucks!

Hope you enjoy my recipes they are some of my very favorites and have served my family well.

Be well!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)