Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you pay attention to nutrition labels, before you buy a product?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM
  • 29 Replies

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
single_and_preg
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I only do when I'm on a diet/

TonyaLea
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Almost always, especially things I buy for my daughter.  There are something though that I have always bought without paying attention, but I am getting much better at reading labels.  I am really cautious of partially hydrogenated oils, sodium content, and high fructose corn syrup.

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on what I am buying. If I am buying junk, I don't bother. But if I am buying a side dish or something frozen, I do look at the labels to see what is in them. I try not to buy processed foods so I really don't have much of a need to look at labels.

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

momoflilangel
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Most of the time yes. I try and stay clear of high frutose corn syrup as much as possible esp. for my toddler.

KBix
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM

i always do. i am trying to keep us healthy and fit.

kmrtigger
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Not as often as I should. But SO is anal about checking labels b/c of being diabetic. 

rkoloms
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I am an obsessive label reader, even for items I buy regularly. I don't really care about the nutritionals, I do care about the ingredients.

Robin in Chicago

shabby.chic
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I do now! I gotta count all my sons carbs, and it's just become a habit now when I'm shopping to flip over to the nutrition label to see how it is on carbs, protien, sugars, and fiber.

God loves everyone, but probably prefers 'fruits of the spirit' over 'religious nuts'.
He who angers you controls you.
God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.
God Himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead.  So why should you?

midwestmom
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I frequently check labels, especially for new products or brand changes.  I check for HFCS, hydrogenated oils, MSG, how much sweeteners and whole wheat vs wheat.  I hate that manufacturers can label a product no trans fats when it lists hydrogenated oils in the ingredients, or no sugar when it has 6 other sweeteners in it!  Forget about NATURAL, even if it has processed ingredients they put a natural label on it?!  And why do they market a product as healthy & high in fiber, then add trans fats to it?  Sometimes I get so frustrated (can you tell  LOL)  when I read labels because I frequently find ingredients that I don't want to eat.  I'm glad we have labels to help make an informed decision.  Yet some things aren't on the labels, like GMO (genetically modified organism).  OK....I'm stopping now, sorry if I'm ranting.

sealed lip

Bmat
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I got groceries today, and I paused several times to examine the nutrition label. I wanted packaged cocoa. So I had a choice of maybe 8 kinds. I narrowed it down to fat free, or low cal (which was also fat free I discovered on the nutrition label) or diet.  The fat free had 50 calories, the low cal had 25 calories, and the diet had 60 calories. So I bought (drum roll please) the low cal.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)