Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone besides me take this personally?? (some venting)

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:52 PM
  • 31 Replies

Okay, so I'm making turkey chili for dinner tonight and was just about to make some corn bread to go with it when my BF walks into the kitchen and says, aren't you going to make rice with the chili?  I say, I wasn't planning on it, I was going to make corn bread.  And he says, oh, well I don't really like corn bread and I don't think the kids will eat it either.  I felt so deflated.  I was all psyched to make corn bread tonight and now they're not even going to eat it.  I thought it would be a nice addition to the meal and now I'm not even in the mood to make it anymore.  Okay, so maybe I am feeling a little hormonal today, but it's not the first time this has happened.  So maybe chili and cornbread isn't a gourmet meal but it's not so easy planning exciting delicious meals that everyone will love all the time.  Sometimes I just don't feel like anyone appreciates the trouble I go to to try to please them.  I know it's just corn bread, but that's not the point.  Our family wastes so much food it's not even funny.  I'm so sick and tired of the family picking at their meals and having tons of leftovers go bad in the fridge.  Does anyone feel like this after planning a really special meal just to find out no one is going to eat it? 

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bigblueeyes
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM

i've had nights like that.....you might go though and list what you know they will for sure eat.....ask them what they would like for you to make.....and if all else fails.....do what i did one year when we were houseparents......GO ON STRIKE!!!!!!.......lol.....i did it for one week.....we had 8 teenaged boys......they had to do alllllllll the cooking and cleaning and everything!!!!!......needless to say we ate a lot of "burnt offerings" that week.....lol....but they got the point!.....i never had to actually go on strike again....only had to threaten it.....lol.....even when we would get new kids....the ones that had been there when i went on strike would shut them up pretty fast if they started complaining.....lol......good luck!

Bmat
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Corn bread seems a great idea with chili- and especially if the chili has beans, the corn in the corn bread complements the protein in the beans. Rice does, too. Besides, why not try different foods. How are the children supposed to learn to eat different foods if they always just have "what they will eat?"   I would have just made the corn bread and offered only that, they should try it, they might like it.

NSeni
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:51 AM

no because my rules in my house are this.. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T EAT IT.. BUT.. you will NOT be getting something else later and you will NOT get anything else until you finish it.

yes, i have made my kids eat their dinner for breakfast. no i do not feel bad about it... that's how my parents raised me. i'm not a short order cook. i dont make 4 different meals for each person in my house, soo, you either eat what i make or you starve.

mrsringling
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Yes!!!!  A few weeks ago I made stuffed steak, it too some effort because it was homemade stuffing rolled inside of steak-then browned and cooked with homemade gravy.  My DD(3) took one look at it and goes eww, that's a disgusting dinner! and my DH laughed about it...so now she does it all the time.  Makes me so mad!  What I do to cut down on waste is you either eat what I cook or if you truly tried it and don't like it you can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...I am not a restaurant!  LOL  By the way, who eats rice with chili??  I've never heard of that, always had it with cornbread!  :-)

NSeni
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:53 AM

would also like to add that i am broke as fuck and making good tasting meals that are CHEAP and SIMPLE and are NOT hamburger or chicken helper is super hard when you are on a tight budget.. so your family should be lucky that you are cooking at all!

mumsy2three
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I would have made the cornbread, if he wanted rice he could have made it. I figure I am the one who plans and cooks the meal and my kitchen is not a restaurant so you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. That's just me though.

Jodie269
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

We dont waste food but if You have taken the time to plan something & have to change it it does raise the hairs on your head a bit.

Bmat
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I've heard parents say that their child doesn't like this or won't eat that, when they haven't even given their child a chance to try it. And when they say it in the child's hearing it is even worse, because the child may not have thought of not liking it until the parent mentioned it.

rkoloms
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 6:28 AM

Get everyone involved in meal planning; let each kid pick a meal for the week, and be involved in the preparation.

Robin in Chicago

TempestRayne
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 6:29 AM

sweety, you need to learn the value of freezer bags.  Your family also needs a great big dose of "You eat what I cook, or not at all"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)