Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do kids really prefer "kid" foods?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM
  • 23 Replies

By the time my daughter was two, she was eating the same foods that my husband and I ate. By age five, when we went to a restaurant, she insisted on ordering from the "real" menu. She would rather have sushi than french fries.

Are other kids like this?

Robin in Chicago

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Mine would rather order mashed potatoes with gravy rather than fries at a restaurant LOL.. I personally am a fan of "kid" foods and eat them myself at home.  DD is stuck on chicken nuggets for protein though, she used to eat all sorts of meats.

Bmat
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:57 PM

My sons always prefered children's foods. They usually ordered cheese sandwiches or pizza.

rkoloms
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 6:24 AM

What about at home? Do you cook food or do you cook "kid" food?

Robin in Chicago

rkoloms
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Mine would rather order mashed potatoes with gravy rather than fries at a restaurant LOL.. I personally am a fan of "kid" foods and eat them myself at home.  DD is stuck on chicken nuggets for protein though, she used to eat all sorts of meats.

There are much, much healthier ways to get protein in a child: beans, lentils, quinoa, whole grain pasta, brown rice, tofu, etc.

Robin in Chicago

frndlyfn
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are much, much healthier ways to get protein in a child: beans, lentils, quinoa, whole grain pasta, brown rice, tofu, etc.

yes we have tried most of those... No tofu in this house though.    We have been able to sneak quinoa in a few things so that the dish isnt all about that ingredient.   I said she was stuck on it meaning she used to eat all sorts of protein sources.

TempestRayne
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

My kids like the kiddo menu. Particularly at fast food restaurants when they get a toy with it :P

bhwrn1
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 2:46 PM

My middle son, 3 y/o, is like this. He wants to eat what I am eating or what the adults are eating. My oldest is not. He prefers to stick with the "kids" stuff.

AM-BRAT
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Well, this is going to sound horrible, but I think alot of people just ASSUME that kids eat "kid food." IE: chicken nuggets, mac and cheese. That's not the case. My 1 yo has never had nuggets. They eat what we eat, and we never resort to "kid food." I've always thought that to be silly. So when we're at someones house that does eat that way, it's like a treat. OR, they won't touch it lol...

kmrtigger
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 6:14 PM

My kids eat what I eat.

Maddiesmommy123
by on Feb. 23, 2010 at 8:35 AM

We have always given our daughter what we eat....she will order the occasional "kids" meal but for the most part she eats what we eat. About the only thing I can think that she doesn't like is chili, but she'd eat it minus the beans!! People used to be amazed at a 2 year old ordering a salad with her meal, lol.......she loves her salads!!

Have a good day :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)