• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little help please.

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am trying to eat more healthy, Are you a healthy eater, what is working for you. I really need help in this area. ANY ADVICE you can give will be very helpful.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mammaof3girls
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:17 PM
My biggest problem has always been portion control. Growing up it was "finish what's on your plate" from my dad. He was very strict about it, and so I lost the ability to tell when I was truly done eating. When I am really full or stuffed until I'm so stuffed it hurts.
So, I try for smaller portions of things. I will use only the inner part of the dinner plate for food, its small and my plates have a decorative flower motif, so I can pretend the edges are those.
I fill half my plate with veggies first off. Then I add a carb and a lean protein.
For me, its easy to eat healthy because I love veggies. So they're part of my meals everyday. Fresh or cooked, doesn't matter.
I eat a lot of whole grains. If it doesn't have at least 3 grams of fiber, I won't buy it or eat it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet_bumblbee
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Quoting mammaof3girls:

My biggest problem has always been portion control. Growing up it was "finish what's on your plate" from my dad. He was very strict about it, and so I lost the ability to tell when I was truly done eating. When I am really full or stuffed until I'm so stuffed it hurts.
So, I try for smaller portions of things. I will use only the inner part of the dinner plate for food, its small and my plates have a decorative flower motif, so I can pretend the edges are those.
I fill half my plate with veggies first off. Then I add a carb and a lean protein.
For me, its easy to eat healthy because I love veggies. So they're part of my meals everyday. Fresh or cooked, doesn't matter.
I eat a lot of whole grains. If it doesn't have at least 3 grams of fiber, I won't buy it or eat it.

Thanks I use a kids plate to eat on for smaller portions. I want to eat more veges and fruits.

mammaof3girls
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM
One of my favorite ways to get more veggies is to add them to simple things-eggs, sandwiches, pizza....
Have half a cup of spinach and a tomato with your eggs, and a side of melon or strawberries or blueberries.
Instead of the classic sandwich, make a wrap out of a specialty tortilla like spinach or sun dried tomato, and fill it with onions, bean sprouts, romaine, avocado, and tomato, with an ounce of shredded chicken or turkey breast. Maybe an ounce of feta instead.
Have veggie soup with your lunch. A grown up grilled cheese- sour dough bread, 2 slices crisp bacon, 1 tomato, and an ounce of cheese and a tsp of mayo- goes great with a good veggie soup. I boil a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a potato, 1 cup of kale and 2 tomatoes in 4 cups of chicken broth when I want a quick, healthy lunch.
Want a steak sandwich? Sautee 1 slice of carne asada with 1 red pepper and 1/2 a purple onion.
Add more veggies to your pastas-squash and zucchini are two of my faves to add.
Bake fruits and veggies into your bread.
Instead of spaghetti noodles, use spaghetti squash.
Add corn and half a purple onion to your rice, with a bit of tomato sauce, hot or mild, for a great rice.
Make jambalaya and add extra veggies.
Roast some carrots with a bit of oil and sea salt for a mid afternoon snack. Add some toasted pine nuts to add a bit of protein.
Add fruit to your yogurt.
Have a bowl of fruit salad ready in the fridge for a quick bowl mid morning.
Heat up 1 cup of peaches with a dash of cinnamon and topped with oats in the oven. Fast and healthy dessert. Can do the same with apples.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM
Follow this rule: half your plate should be veggies, 1/4 protein, and 1/4 whole grains :)

the BEST advice I can offer is just don't buy it :) I LOVE junk food but I steer clear from buying it. If I don't have it I can't eat it.

For snacks, do all your prep as soon as you get home from the grocery store rinse, peel and cut your veggies. When you want a snack fast, eat those :) they'll be readily available.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet_bumblbee
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Thanks ladies for all of the help. I hope i can keep strong on my journey to lose weight.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I never say weight LOST.  I say I got rid of b/c when you lose something you always want to find it lol.  Also think of it as just a healthier lifestyle not a diet.  I don't get anything with "no fat", I get low fat.  The more processed something is the worse it is for you.  Your body does need a certain about of fat and carbs.  Unfortunately carbs is our bodies best source of fuel.  You (if your not already) might want to check out a group that I'm in.  

There is some really good info there and lots of help.  Hope to see ya there!

Quoting sweet_bumblbee:

Thanks ladies for all of the help. I hope i can keep strong on my journey to lose weight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)