Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*~ Fruit ~*

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM
  • 15 Replies

Fruit Compote

Fruit Compote Recipe

• 2 Servings
  • Prep: 20 min. + chilling

Ingredients

• 1 cup apricot nectar, divided
  • Dash to 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • Dash to 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 firm banana, cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 4 fresh strawberries, sliced
  • 1 kiwifruit, halved and thinly sliced

Directions

• In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup apricot nectar, cloves and cinnamon to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining apricot nectar until smooth; gradually whisk into nectar mixture. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Cool.
  • Stir in the banana, strawberries and kiwi. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 2 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 174 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.

by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Frozen Cranberry Banana Salads

• 1 lg can (20 oz) well drained crushed pineapple 
  • 1 pint sour cream
  • 1- 9 ounce cool whip 
  • 4 mashed bananas
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 cup nuts (optional)
  • 2 cans whole cranberry sauce (make sure you get whole)
  • (Optionally you can add 1 cup of chopped nuts if you like)

Mix all ingredients well and spoon into cupcake papers placed in a muffin pan. Freeze. When frozen, remove from muffin pan and place in Ziploc bag.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Fruit Cocktail Cake

Fruit Cocktail Cake

• 2 Cups self rising flour 
  • 1 can fruit cocktail
  • 2 unbeaten eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 ½ Cup sugar

Mix all ingredients at low speed. Pour into greased and floured 9×13 in pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Sauce

• 1 stick margarine 
  • 1 can coconut
  • 1 Cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 Cup evaporated milk
  • 1 Cup pecans, chopped

Boil in pan for one to two minutes. Pour over hot cake.

Pour hot icing over hot cake, spreading as you pour. Work fast now because this is going to immediately soak down into the cake and you don’t want coconut to be concentrated in one area and completely absent in the other. Spreading it as you pour it will help avoid this problem!

carolina_gal
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Fruit Dip Recipe
•8 ounces cream cheese, softened
•14 ounces marshmallow fluff
•Dash of cinnamon
•Dash of nutmeg

1.In a medium serving bowl, blend the cream cheese until smooth.
2.Spoon in the fluff and beat until smooth.
3.Add the nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jan. 20, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Oven dried apple slices

OliviaW.
Posted by 
 (Group Mod) on Jan. 16, 2011 at 4:11 PM

4 large apples (sweet apples not tart)

lemon juice

water

large mixing bowl

wax paper

cookie sheets

cooking spray

Fill mixing bowl with water and add lemon juice (this depends on how many apples and how big the bowl is. Wash, peel, core and slice apples (as thick or as thin as you want) and put slices in lemon water mixture for about 5-10 minutes. Preheat oven and place on lowest setting or 200 degrees 

Place wax paper on cookie sheets and spray lightly with cooking spray. Remove apple slices from lemon water mixture; you can either lightly dry with a paper towel or just shake the extra water from apple slices. Place apple slices on wax paper and place cookie sheet in oven and leave the door slightly ajar. 

It should take about 4 hours for apple slices to dry. You don't want them crispy but soft middles. You will need to flip the slices over once through the baking process.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Yum :) fruit sauce

epoh
Posted by 
 on Apr. 15, 2011 at 9:27 PM 
Group Mod Hope
Whenever I have fruits with wilty skin I make fruit sauce :)

I've added mixtures of plums, nectarines, apples, pears, mangoes, oranges and lemons (for juice so it doesn't turn brown) and peaches. I peel and core them, add cinnamon and nutmeg, and a splash of water. Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. When the fruit is tender use a potato masher and squish :)

Takes about 10 mins total of hands on work (including peeling, chopping and mashing at the end) and 15-20 mins cooking time. 

You could probably add sugar or brown sugar but I never do because the baby eats it too :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on May. 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Wine Roasted Grapes and Pears

Kimberly954
Posted by 
 on May. 5, 2011 at 5:13 PM 
Group Mod - Kim

This is one of my absolute favorite side dishes and I always save it for special occasions. Its really simple but looks so elegant. 

2 large pears cored and quartered (skins on)

2 cups green seedless grapes

1 cup riesling

1/4 cup clover honey

2 T apricot preserves

1 t vanilla

2 sprigs thyme

1. Preheat oven to 400. In baking dish arrange pears cut side down and scatter grapes around them. In bowl, combine remaining ingredients and pour over fruit. Roast about 40 minutes.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on May. 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Easy Fruit Salad
1 -16oz container fresh strawberries
2 - cups green grapes (seedless)
2 - small cans or 1 large can mandarin oranges, drained
1 - 16-24 oz pineapple chunks, drained
4 - 5 bananas, chunked
1 - can peach (21 oz) or apricot pie filling (I prefer peach)

Gently mix all the ingredients together and chill until ready to serve.
(Make sure to drain the pineapple and the mandarin oranges)

(If using frozen strawberries use one large 24oz container do not drain)
OliviaW.
by on May. 15, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Watermelon Shark

In a pickle? This shark's a sweetie

• 1 oblong, seeded watermelon
• Dry erase marker
• Large knife
• Smaller utility knife
• Large spoon
• Paring knife (you can use the tip of a vegetable peeler)
• 2 large marbles
• Toothpicks or wooden skewers
• Swedish Fish candies for garnish

Wash and dry the watermelon.

Cut off 1/3 of the watermelon at a diagonal angle.

Stand the remaining 2/3 upright on your work surface and use a dry erase marker to draw the mouth line and eye sockets.

Cut out the mouth. Trim back a half-inch line of the green part of the rind for the teeth area.

Use a large spoon to scoop out the watermelon flesh, leaving 3 inches intact at the base.

Cut out the teeth, using a smaller utility knife.

Use a melon baller to cut out the eye sockets to the size of large marbles. Then use a paring knife to trim the green area around the eyes. Insert marbles.

Use the carved-out rind from the mouth to make the dorsal fin. Shape as shown in the picture. Attach the fin using toothpicks.

Fill the mouth with triangle shapes of watermelon, accented with Swedish Fish.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Grilled Banana - DESSERT

auroragold
Posted by 
 on Oct. 18, 2009 at 9:35 AM 

Don't know where I got my original recipe so can't give due credit. HOWEVER, I searched and found this one (pretty much the same thing) on the Whole Foods website.

This is a great last minute dessert. Who doesn't have a banana hanging around and a handful of chocolate chips?  Let your imagination run wild with other toppings.  Oh yes - and I used the oven/broiler instead of the grill.

Serves 4

This crowd-pleasing dessert is easy to assemble both ahead of time or just before cooking. Let kids make their own by choosing toppings that suit their tastes. Substitute you favorite fruit for the strawberries or use honey instead of chocolate chips, if you like.

Ingredients

4 bananas 
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate or carob chips 
1/2 cup chopped strawberries or peaches 
1/3 cup granola or graham cracker crumbs 
1/2 cup mini marshmallows 
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) 

Method

Preheat grill to medium heat. Hold each banana in your hand, curved side up, and carefully halve it lengthwise through the top of the peel without cutting through the bottom side. Arrange each banana on a piece of foil. 

Using your fingers, gently pry open each banana, making a space down the center for the toppings. Arrange chocolate chips, strawberries and granola down the center of each banana then top with marshmallows and walnuts. 

Fold foil around each banana, leaving the top open, to form a bowl that will protect it from direct heat. Arrange bananas on grill and cook until banana is tender and marshmallows and chocolate are melted and hot, about 10 minutes. Set aside to let cool slightly before serving. 

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 12:36 AM

• MoirasMom927
  • by   New Member on Jun. 8, 2011 at 9:29 PM
  • Strawberry Jam (from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients

• 2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled
    • 4 cups white sugar
    • 1/4 cup lemon juice

Directions

1. In a wide bowl, crush strawberries in batches until you have 4 cups of mashed berry. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F (105 degrees C). Transfer to hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace, and seal. Process in a water bath. If the jam is going to be eaten right away, don't bother with processing, and just refrigerate.

Footnotes

• To test for jelling 
    • Place three plates in a freezer... after about 10 minutes of boiling place a tsp of the liquid of the jam onto the cold plate. Return to freezer for a minute. Run your finger through the jam on the plate... if it doesn't try to run back together (if you can make a line through it with your finger) it's ready to be canned! 

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 85 | Total Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 0mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Databas

Quoting SweetLuci:

Could you share the one you tried for others who might be interested? We always like to hear about tried and true recipes.

Quoting MoirasMom927:

Thanks Ladies!  I found one on allrecipes.com , It was so easy & came out so good.  Will definately try your recipe SweetLuci & will also check out the one from cooks.com.  I'm always looking to try something new.  Thanks Again!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)