Baked Spinach Dip in Bread
- 16 Servings
- Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced sourdough bread
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until blended. Stir in the spinach, cheese, bacon, onion, dill and garlic; set aside.
- Cut a 1-1/2-in. slice off top of bread; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread and place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown; set aside.
- Fill bread shell with spinach dip; replace top. Place any dip that doesn't fit in shell in a greased baking dish. Wrap bread in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until dip is heated through. Cover and bake additional dip for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Open foil carefully. Serve dip warm with vegetables and reserved bread cubes. Yield: 4 cups.
Editor's Note: Fat-free cream cheese and mayonnaise are not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup equals (calculated without assorted fresh vegetables)361 calories, 28 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 537 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.