Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*~ Homemade mixes ~*

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

Homemade Shake N’ Bake Recipe

whisper36
Posted by 

Make your own Shake N' Bake from scratch..

I love this, it comes out wayyy better than the store bought stuff!!

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 cups ground crackers (unsalted, or use salted crackers and skip the salt below)
2 TBS salt
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS garlic powder
4 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp pepper

For Chicken Add:

1 TBS Sage
1 TBS Thyme

Directions:

• Mix well until all ingredients are thoroughly blended. Store in an airtight container or large ziploc bag.
  • Brush meat lightly with vegetable oil before covering with Shake N’ Bake.

Click my dolly by golly to view my blog!

by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Using Mayo

auroragold
Posted by 
 on Oct. 27, 2009 at 7:05 AM

This is a spin off of the mayo post.  We all have our preferences for BRAND but what interesting ways do you use mayo?

I mix mayo, parmesan cheese, a bit of garlic and smear it on chicken breast then pat on bread crumbs and grill.  The result is a delicious crust!

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Nov. 9, 2010 at 11:20 PM

How to make and easy Sofrito

asanabria123
Posted by 
 on Oct. 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM

In Puerto Rico we use sofrito to cook our meals.  It is a combination of spices that enhance flavors in our dishes.  We use sofrito to make yellow rice with sausages, rice with beans, beans alone, chicken stew, soups and others.  We use tbsp of this depending on quantity of the meal.  You pour a tbsp of oil and sofrito that is called "to sauté" or fry lightly.  Then you add other ingredients like sauce, seasonings, etc.

This are the ingredients, for this basic one.  I must say that there are other ingredients that people like to add, but I do the simple one.

You need:

• bunch of coriander    
  • 2 onions peeled and chopped 
  • half of a small package of sweet peppers      You should clean them and take off the seeds.  I don't like my sofrito with seeds.
  • 2 or 3 heads of garlic peeled.  If you buy a package that comes peeled use less than half because then the sofrito will become to spicy.
  • 3 green peppers.  Clean them and take off the seeds like you do with the sweet peppers.

Put ingredientes in an Osterizer with oil instead of water.  Add a hintch of salt.  This is for preserve the product.  You can use water instead of oil.  After all ingredients are minced/grounded put it in a crystal jar or you can use ziplock bags.  Put in the refrigerator the portion you will be using and the rest can be freezed and thawed whenever you need more.  This is part of our ingredients when we are cooking.  Without sofrito...we don't live, hahahhaah

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Most of these recipes I got from my mamas in my group Crock Pot Moms, but wanted to share.

Barb ~ Group Owner  Crock & Roll Baby!

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM

• You wrote on Sep. 7, 2008 at 3:31 PM
  • Hey Mamas!  I know that this is not a crock pot recipe however, a TON of recipes for the crock pot call for cream of soups.  Carolyn found this recipe and I made it the other day for a casserole and I have to tell ya it was wonderful.  I was a little worried b/c a lot of recipes ask for undiluted soup, I didn't think it was going to be thick enough, but I was pleasantly surprised!  It was thick, if your using it as a "soup meal" you'd need more liquid in it.
         There are a couple of things that I'm loving about this recipe that I wanted to share with you~
         1. I just started WW and per serving with this is only 2 points for 1 cup.  I looked up canned cream of mushroom soup and for only 1 cup it's 4 points!  That alone I'm loving it lol.
         2. Carolyn and I figured out the cost of making this recipe.  I could only get a box of 10 envelopes of the dry milk (whole milk) which when all is said and done it makes 5 batches of the dry mix, making a total of 45 cans of soup, costing only $0.27 a CAN!  That's with paying about $8.00 for the powdered milk and then I added $4.00 more for what you need to reconstitute the soup.  I didn't figure in the veggies b/c you always have them on hand.
         How I made my mix ~  I put everything in except the bouillon.  I didn't have the granules all I have on hand are the cubes so, I took out what I needed to make one can and then in a baggie I smashed one chicken cube and then added it.  I was going to buy the instant bouillon next shopping trip but, I like adding it when needed b/c then I could put either beef or chicken when needed.  Also, I always use milk instead of water for soups so what I did was I used 1/2 cup of half & half and then 3/4 cup 2% milk.  It turned out GREAT!  Let us know what you think when & if you try it!  

chuckletushy

Feb. 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM by chuckletushy
    posted to Casserole Moms

here's an easy way to avoid the cost and sodium of the canned cream soups:

Make your own Cream of Whatever Soup Mix.

2 cups powdered milk 
    3/4 cup cornstarch 
    1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon 
    2 tbsp dried onion flakes 
    1 tsp basil leaves 
    1 tsp thyme leaves 
    pepper

Combine ingredients, stirring till evenly distributed. 
    To substitute for 1 can of condensed cream of whatever soup, combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1-1/4 cups of cold water. (This is when to add the "flavor" for whichever soup you need). Heat and stir until it thickens. Use as you would the canned product. 
    The dry mix makes the equivalent of 9 cans of soup, at a cost of pennies per recipe. 
    To make specific flavors add the following when you are heating the mix and the water.

"FLAVOR" LIST (these amounts are per "can")
    Mushroom: add ½ cup finely chopped mushrooms. 
    Celery: add ½ cup minced sauteed celery. 
    Potato: add 1 cup cooked diced potatoes. 
    Chicken: add ½ cup cooked chicken. 
    Vegetable: add 3/4 cup cooked vegetables. 
    Broccoli: add 1 cup cooked chopped broccoli

this is one i found online for only a one can replacement.

Home-Made Cream of Whatever Soup
    2 Tbs butter
    2 Tbs flour
    1/4 tsp salt (optional)
    1 cup milk
    In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter.
    Sprinkle the flour over it and stir to incorporate.
    Cook over medium low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Slowly whisk in the milk. This is when you would add whatever flavor from the above list.

You wrote on Mar. 16, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Today when I made this for cream of mushroom soup I only used 1/4 cup of the dry mix to 1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2 and 3/4 cup of milk.  I also put some extra garlic and onion powder as well as pepper.  Also 1 can of mushrooms diced.  The consistency was much better.  I was using this to make greenbean casserole and it calls for 3/4 cup milk I only used 1/2 cup of milk.  It came out nicely!  LOVE THIS RECIPE!!!  Thanks Carolyn so much for finding this for us!   

• You wrote on Oct. 3, 2008 at 3:01 PM

• Quoting CillaTexas:

Since the cream soup makes so much, can you freeze them in indivdual baggies??

Actually the "batch" that your making is a dry mix and you add the "wet" as you need it.  Just keep the dry mix in your cabinet in an air tight container like tupperware. 

Crock & Roll Baby! 

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM
chuckletushy

by chuckletushy on Aug. 20, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix

NOTE: This is about equal to one of those boxed up envelopes.

4 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
 8 teaspoons dried minced onion
 1 teaspoon onion powder
 1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper

Combine all ingredients and seal in ziploc or vacuum seal bag (or jar).

dntbgmeb4cofe

• You wrote on Sep. 7, 2008 at 3:42 PM
  • ZESTY ITALIAN DRESSING MIX

1/2 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. each: pepper, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, sweet red pepper flakes
    Pinch of paprika

In a custard cup or small bowl, mix all together. Whirl briefly in a blender if you like a finer texture (I skip this step). Makes the equivalent of 1 packet Italian dressing mix. May double or triple the recipe if you need more than one packet of mix in whatever you're making.

Dry Italian Dressing Substitute

1-½ tsp. garlic powder
    1 tbsp. onion powder
    2 tbsp. oregano
    1 tbsp. dried parsley
    1 tbsp. sugar
    1 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. ground basil
    ¼ tsp. thyme
    ½ tsp. dried celery leaves

1/ Measure out all ingredients and combine in bowl. Use in place of Zesty Dry Italian Dressing packet.

2/ To make dressing: Mix 2 tbsp. of mix with ¼ cup vinegar, 2 tbsp. water and ½ to ⅔ cup olive oil.

Servings: 1 packet

dntbgmeb4cofe

• You wrote on Sep. 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM
  • Dry Ranch Dressing

2/3 cup dried parsley flakes
    1/4 cup finely crushed saltine crackers
    1/3 cup dried minced onion
    3 Tbsp. garlic salt
    2 Tbsp. onion salt
    1 Tbsp. garlic powder
    1 Tbsp. onion powder
    1 Tbsp. dried dill weed
    1/4 tsp. pepper

In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well with a wire whisk. Store in airtight container in a cool dry place.

dntbgmeb4cofe

NOTE: these gravy recipes haven't been tested by us yet. we found them and wanted to share so if you try them please come back and tell us what you thought and or any changes you'd make. thanks.

Homemade Beef Gravy Mix Ingredients

1-1/3 cup instant nonfat milk powder
3/4 cup flour
3 Tbsp instant beef bouillon granules
1/8 tsp ground thyme
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp ground sage
1/2 cup butter
3 tsp brown sauce for gravy

Instructions for Homemade Beef Gravy Mix

Combine milk powder, instant flour, bouillon granules, thyme, onion powder and sage. Stir with a wire whisk to blend. Cut in butter or margarine until evenly distributed. Drizzle brown sauce for gravy over mixture. Stir with wire whisk until blended. Makes about 2-2/3 c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brown Gravy Mix

1-1/3 cups cornstarch 
5 Tbs + 1 tsp beef bouillon granules 
4 tsp instant coffee powder or crystals 
4 tsp unsweetened cocoa 
2 tsp onion powder 
1 tsp garlic powder 
1/2 tsp ground pepper 
1/2 tsp paprika

Combine all ingredients and store in a container with tight-fitting lid. Sufficient for making 8 batches of gravy, 1 1/2 cups each.

To prepare: Measure 3 Tbs Brown Gravy Mix into a small saucepan. Add 1-1/2 cups water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring for 1 minute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Homemade Chicken Gravy Mix Ingredients

1-1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 cup flour
3 Tbsp instant chicken bouillon granules
1/4 tsp ground sage
1/8 tsp ground thyme
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1/2 cup butter

Instructions for Homemade Chicken Gravy Mix

Combine milk powder, instant flour, bouillon granules, thyme, sage and pepper. Stir with a wire whisk to blend. Cut in butter or margarine until evenly distributed. Spoon into a 3-cup container with a tight-fitting lid. Label with date and contents;

Makes about 2-2/3 c

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Dry Ground Beef Mix Recipe

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup beef bouillon powder
1/4 cup dried onion flakes
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 Tbsp. garlic powder

Mix the ingredients together in a medium bowl and store in an air tight container in a cool, dry place.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Stuffing Mix

30 slices firm bread
3 Tbsp. instant minced onion
2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. seasoned pepper
1/3 cup cooking oil
3 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
3/4 tsp. ground sage

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cut bread slices into 1/2" cubes and place in two 13x9" baking pans. Toast bread cubes at 300 degrees for 45 minutes, or until toasted, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and cool slightly. In large bowl, mix together onion, garlic salt, seasoned pepper, oil, parsley flakes, and sage. Lightly toss bread cubes with seasonings to coat cubes. Place in a large airtight container and label "Herbed Stuffing Mix". Store in a cool, dry place and use within 3 to 4 months. Use in any recipe calling for stuffing mix.

Makes about 12 cups

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)