Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week: Rice

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM
  • 31 Replies

We're starting a new feature called Ingredient of the Week.

This week's ingredient is rice. What kind do you like? Instant, Boil-in-Bag or raw rice? What method do you use to cook it? Did you have a hard time learning to cook it? How often do you serve it? What do you serve it with? How does your family like it?

by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM

raw rice. It took me a little bit to get the hang of it but now I have no issuse. 

I make it all kinds of ways, boil it with chicken broth and veggies, heat it in a skillet a with  little oil with onions and garlic then boil it in seasonings and tomato sauce for a spanish rice dish.

If we do have it we have it with a good protein so the starchyness doesnt absorb as quickly and spike the blood sugar and insulin

We dont have it TOO often because it is a pretty starchy carb even though we do use brown rice more often than not.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM

We've gotten to like brown rice, too, though it took a bit of time.

Quoting SuperPickle:

raw rice. It took me a little bit to get the hang of it but now I have no issuse. 

I make it all kinds of ways, boil it with chicken broth and veggies, heat it in a skillet a with  little oil with onions and garlic then boil it in seasonings and tomato sauce for a spanish rice dish.

If we do have it we have it with a good protein so the starchyness doesnt absorb as quickly and spike the blood sugar and insulin

We dont have it TOO often because it is a pretty starchy carb even though we do use brown rice more often than not.

1proudmama07
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM

i use brown minute rice...lastnight i made asian wraps and didnt have any cabbage so i put it over rice, it was really good.  i use it in spanish meatballs, with chicken, porkchops, and in soups.

we dont eat it very often, maybe once a week, or once every 2 weeks...

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM

That sounds like agreat idea for a last minute change. Anything over rice is well accepted in my house. We love it. The little one will only eat plain rice, nothing added to it, so instead of on top we put hers separate; but she likes brown rice, so that's an advantage.

Quoting 1proudmama07:

i use brown minute rice...lastnight i made asian wraps and didnt have any cabbage so i put it over rice, it was really good.  i use it in spanish meatballs, with chicken, porkchops, and in soups.

we dont eat it very often, maybe once a week, or once every 2 weeks...

mommom7
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM

jasmine rice is my favorite, I cook it on the stovetop with lid on it for 15 mins., add a tbs. of butter to it...Serve it with stirfry, chicken, pork, steakcubes out of the crock with cream of mushroom soup, or with just steamed veggies...

lexismum03
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I love white rice and Brown Rice. No one else around here really likes it though. I usually use minute rice. My favorite way to serve it is with sauce that comes from my cheesy chicken out of the crockpot. yummy. unless we go somewhere that serves rice I eat it like once a year lol

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I use all three. It just depends on how busy I am now which one I use. I didn't really have a hard time with it.  We normally have it about once a week or two. I normally make it with chicken or fish.

ChEMOM
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Brown rice - raw- one of the easiest things to cook - lil butter- plus double water to rice I am using - boil - cover and simmer for 20 mins

rocamom
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I have a microwave cooker and I LOVE cooking my rice that way.  It's always YUMMY and comes out perfect EVERYTIME!!!  I add a handful of frozen veggies for a yummy side dish.

Last night I made wild rice and to make it a little different I used only 1 1/2 cups water and 3/4 cup orange juice.  I also cut up some mushrooms.  SO YUMMY!!!

I love just making rice and beans too.

rocamom
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Oh and left over rice is YUMMY for chicken stir fry.  DELISH!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN