Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week, Januasry 25: Meatloaf

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM
  • 31 Replies

We're starting a new weekly post called Recipe of the Week. This week's is meatloaf. How do you make yours? Did you get the recipe from mom or a friend or online or somewhere else? Do you make the same one all the time or change it up a bit? How often do you make it? What do you serve with it?

by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM

This is the way I usually make mine, but I like to try different ones as well. It's a recipe that has evolved over time. Sometimes I use bread crumbs or cracker crumbs or change the seasonings. I like to serve it with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable, like broccoli or green beans.
Meatloaf

½ cup Quick Oats (not instant)
½ cup ketchup
1 large egg, slightly beaten
½ cup green pepper, finely diced
½ cup celery, finely diced
½ cup onion, finely diced
couple dashes Worstershire
couple dashes soy sauce
1 teaspoon Lawrey’s seasoned salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. ground chuck
Mix all ingredients except meat. Then mix in meat. (I use plastic gloves for this). Form into an oval loaf on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Wet hands and smooth over the meat. This seems to help it hold together. Top with about ½ cup ketchup. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.This can also be baked in a loaf pan, but on a baking sheet pan the grease seems to drain out much better.For a change, use salsa instead of ketchup.

Quick tip: Don't like mixing this my hand, and don't have plastic gloves? Put all the ingredients inside a zip-lock plastic bag and "knead" everything together until thoroughly mixed. Kids like helping with this, too!
JPWmom
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM

2lbs 80/20 ground beef.

1egg

1/2c bread crumbs

1packet liption onion soup mix

mix all together and shape into a meatloaf. then drizzle ketchup on top

very easy.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I've used the Liptons onion soup mix, It makes a really good flavored meatloaf.

Quoting JPWmom:

2lbs 80/20 ground beef.

1egg

1/2c bread crumbs

1packet liption onion soup mix

mix all together and shape into a meatloaf. then drizzle ketchup on top

very easy.

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM

1 lbs. hamburger

crackers to taste

ketchup & mustard to taste

1 pint salsa 

Combine all ingredients and place in a baking pan. Bake at 3508 until. If you want it a little sweeter instead of crackers use graham crackers. 

My husband makes this dish and he makes it about once a month. It was his idea to add the salsa when I was making it one time and it has been his dish ever since. Normally I serve it with green beans or asparagus. 

VeteranSAHM
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I make it different every time. Sometimes I combine ground beef and ground turkey. Sometimes I combine ground turkey with turkey breakfast sausage. Sometimes I add grated carrots or mushrooms. I love mushrooms. I always add onion and bell pepper. It's just as good with beef broth or chicken broth instead of milk. Sometimes I tear up bread, sometimes I add store-bought crumbs, sometimes I add oats. I love it with ricotta cheese mixed right in. I always add spices, but I don't measure. I eyeball it. It depends on what I have at home. It is always delicious. I don't like ketchup on top, but I love Jack Daniel's Barbecue Sauce.

laur1963
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I use turkey....add breadcrumbs OR instant oatmeal, chili sauce, egg, and onion soup mix.  My family loves it, me too.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM

My son's were making it one night, and they had used all the ketchup on sandwiches, so they put salsa in it, and it was very good. That's the way they make it now, when they make it.

Quoting OliviaW.:

1 lbs. hamburger

crackers to taste

ketchup & mustard to taste

1 pint salsa 

Combine all ingredients and place in a baking pan. Bake at 3508 until. If you want it a little sweeter instead of crackers use graham crackers. 

My husband makes this dish and he makes it about once a month. It was his idea to add the salsa when I was making it one time and it has been his dish ever since. Normally I serve it with green beans or asparagus. 

mommatess74
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 2:15 PM

i make mine with 2 lbs of ground beef. i put that in a bowl and then i just start adding. i add torn up bread, a couple eggs, ketchup, mustard, heinz 57 a little bbq, worcestershire, then a add some montreal steak seasoning, and some secret family seasoning mix (i have no idea whats in it... maybe when my inlaws get old they will tell me) onion powder, garlic powder. i think thats it... ij ust kinda grab and put it inthere. i never measure it out. then i squish it all together and put it in a dish and sometimes i will put like string cheese in the middle or something. sometimes i even add banana wax peppers or peppercinnies in the mix.  then i put some bbq sauce on top and bake it

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Ricotta cheese? I've never tried it.That sounds good.

Quoting VeteranSAHM:

I make it different every time. Sometimes I combine ground beef and ground turkey. Sometimes I combine ground turkey with turkey breakfast sausage. Sometimes I add grated carrots or mushrooms. I love mushrooms. I always add onion and bell pepper. It's just as good with beef broth or chicken broth instead of milk. Sometimes I tear up bread, sometimes I add store-bought crumbs, sometimes I add oats. I love it with ricotta cheese mixed right in. I always add spices, but I don't measure. I eyeball it. It depends on what I have at home. It is always delicious. I don't like ketchup on top, but I love Jack Daniel's Barbecue Sauce.

rocamom
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I found this yummy gem on Foodnetwork.com SO YUMMY!!!  It's the ONLY meatloaf my hubby will let me make.  ENJOY!!

Loaf :

• 2 pieces bacon, diced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 pound ground beef chuck
  • 8 ounces ground pork
  • 8 ounces ground veal
  • 8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded (2 1/3 cups)
  • 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Glaze:

• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons water

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cook bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, until crispy and fat renders, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate, reserving renderings in the skillet. Cook the onions and garlic in the pan drippings until brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk the eggs, mustard, hot sauce, Worcestershire, cream, salt, and pepper. Add the meat, cheese, parsley, and cooked onion. Chop and add the bacon. Mix with a fork until evenly blended. Whisk the glaze ingredients together in a bowl.

Dampen hands with water and on a foil-lined cookie sheet, pat mixture into a loaf shape. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf registers 155 degrees F, about 1 hour. Spread the glaze onto the meatloaf after about 50 minutes. Let loaf rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN