Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week-Shepherd's Pie

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM
  • 18 Replies

The English tradition of meat pies dates back to the Middle ages. A typical Elizabethan recipe ran: Shred your meat (mutton or beef) and suet together fine. Season it with cloves, mace, pepper and some saffron, great raisins and prunes..."

The key to dating Shepherd's pie is the introduction (and acceptance) of potatoes in England. Shepherd's Pie, a dish of minced meat (usually lamb, when made with beef it is called "Cottage Pie") topped with mashed potatoes was probably invented sometime in the 18th Century by frugal peasant housewives looking for creative ways to serve leftover meat to their families. It is generally agreed that it originated in the north of England and Scotland where there are large numbers of sheep--hence the name. The actual phrase "Shepherd's Pie" dates back to the 1870s, when mincing machines made the shredding of meat easy and popular."

How do you make yours?
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:53 PM

I've never made one yet.

mom2knl
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I have never made one... :(

momoflilangel
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 8:04 PM

We do ground hamburger on the bottom of a casserole dish & I mix the hamburger w/ either a gravy or can of cream of mushroom soup. Then mashed potatoes on top of the meat and shredded cheese on top of the mashed potatoes.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I am enjoying these posts Luci!  Love learning where things come from.  I love to make a couple shepherd's pies differently and then freeze them.  

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Thank you for the kind words. I usually make a double recipe, and freeze half for later.

Quoting dntbgmeb4cofe:

I am enjoying these posts Luci!  Love learning where things come from.  I love to make a couple shepherd's pies differently and then freeze them.  

acaisha
by on Feb. 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Brown hamburger with either onion soup mix,  diced onions and garlic, two cans of mushroom soup, corn, green beans. Pour into pan and top with garlic mashed potatos (roast garlic and stir it into the potatoes) then bake until warmed and potatoes brown up

Sometimes I add taco seasoning and no soup just for a change then I usually top the potatoes with cheese.

My mom doesn't cook her hamburger first just makes it like meat loaf then pushes it into the pan, tops with veggies and then potatoes but I prefer my veggies mixed in and the texture of it being precooked.

rocamom
by on Feb. 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM

SOOOO GOOD!!! My hubby likes it with a gravy.  When I make it in the crock pot I stack it upside down so mashed potatoes on the bottom, a veggie and usually ground beef with a brown gravy on top. Cook on low about 4 to 6 hrs.  YUMMY!!!

I also will used left over beef roast to use up leftovers.  with a brown sauce or gravy from the night before.  DELISH!!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I've also made it with leftover roast beef, but never in the crockpot. That sounds good, too.

Quoting rocamom:

SOOOO GOOD!!! My hubby likes it with a gravy.  When I make it in the crock pot I stack it upside down so mashed potatoes on the bottom, a veggie and usually ground beef with a brown gravy on top. Cook on low about 4 to 6 hrs.  YUMMY!!!

I also will used left over beef roast to use up leftovers.  with a brown sauce or gravy from the night before.  DELISH!!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I've never made it with onion soup mix; I think I'll try that next time.

Quoting acaisha:

Brown hamburger with either onion soup mix,  diced onions and garlic, two cans of mushroom soup, corn, green beans. Pour into pan and top with garlic mashed potatos (roast garlic and stir it into the potatoes) then bake until warmed and potatoes brown up

Sometimes I add taco seasoning and no soup just for a change then I usually top the potatoes with cheese.

My mom doesn't cook her hamburger first just makes it like meat loaf then pushes it into the pan, tops with veggies and then potatoes but I prefer my veggies mixed in and the texture of it being precooked.

AutumnTex
by on Feb. 2, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I have never made one, but this warm weather is making it sound amazing!!! May have to try it tonight!

http://thecoachswidow.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)