Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week: Ranch Dressing

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:05 PM
  • 41 Replies

In 1954, Steve and Gayle Henson opened Hidden Valley Ranch, a  dude ranch near Santa Barbara, California. They served guests a dressing that Steve had developed in Alaska. The dressing was popular, and they began selling bottles that guests could take home, and later opened a factory to sell packets of ranch seasoning that had to be mixed with mayonnaise and buttermilk (packets that are still available to this day). In 1972 the brand was bought by Cloroxfor $8 million, and in the 90's became the best selling salad dressing in the USA.

Does your family like it? How do you use it? As a salad dressing or a dip? Do you use the dry mix or bottled version in recipes?

by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:21 PM

wow I use it sooo many ways .. we add it to salsa for a dip, we dip our pizza crusts in it (when we've eaten the other part lol), I use it on top of fish/chicken to hold the bread crumbs.....

I could go on as dd has loved this dressing since she started to eat solids, she even uses it on fries instead of ketchup.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I make homemade ranch dressing and use it a variety of ways. I LOVE to use it as a pizza sauce for my clubhouse pizza, salad dressing or veggie dip(when using it a a dip I use less milk so it is thicker, dressing I make a bit thinner so it runs out of the bottle nicely)

I also make a homemade "mix" for when a recipe calls for a packet of dressing. I dont like all the added preservatives and MSG .

mom2knl
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:50 PM

My SS uses it for EVERYTHING!!!   I always make sure I have I HUGE bottle for him...  :)

OliviaW.
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Normally dry mix cause we don't use a lot of it. I use it for dips mostly.

momoflilangel
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM

we use the dry mix for a couple chip dip recipes and cucumber sandwiches. We use ranch dressing for pasta salad sometimes as well as for regular salads & as a dip.

epoh
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 8:53 PM
Ew. Clorox makes ranch?

I do love it though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 9:24 PM

First off GREAT post Luci!  I use it dry and as a dip.  I add it to meatloaves, chicken breading.  Never thought of adding it to pizza dough going to have to try that one!  Thanks again Luci!

Iamme21
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Me and my kids love ranch dressing. I buy the packet when I find them I think they taste better even though the bottle is good. I use on alot of things. Baked potatoes, chicken, chicken wings, veggies, sandwiches etc.

mommom7
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I made ranch chicken strips , green beans and butter noodles last night..yum..we use ranch for dipping veggies, wings and cooking.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Does sound strange doesn't it? I think we would all be surprized to find out who some food companies.

Quoting epoh:

Ew. Clorox makes ranch?

I do love it though :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN