Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week: Chicken & Rice February 7, 2011

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:15 AM
  • 15 Replies

From Chinese Chicken Fried Rice to a family favorite chicken and rice casserole, these two ingredients are used together worldwide. Easy to prepare, low cost chicken and rice dishes are are a mainstay in many cultures.

Rice was first cultivated in India in 3000 BC, where domesticated chickens already existed. Among the traditional Indian recipes is Chicken Briyani. This is a North Indian dish consisting of layers of basmati rice and chicken, flavoured with ingredients including garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin and saffron.

China has a long history of rice and chicken dishes. Yangzhou Fried Rice is considered to be the first Chinese fried rice dish, and the best. Made with fluffy white rice tossed with diced chicken thigh, other meats and fresh bamboo shoots, it is found in many American-Chinese restaurants.

Because of its closer historical ties to the Middle East than the rest of Europe, Spain has a greater number of traditional rice and chicken dishes. Arroz con Pollo is a traditional entree, made with chopped fried chicken, Spanish rice, tomato sauce, peppers, onion, and other vegetables and seasonings.

How do you make yours?

by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I bake chicken and rice. Any type of rice it doesn't matter.

mommom7
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I make it a few different ways, but the easiest and yummiest so far is.........2 packets lipton cheesy broccoli rice, cooked, cooked chicken, broccoli..add all to a casserole dish and top with shredded cheddar...bake on 350 for 20 mins......good

P.V.Hawkwind
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I use chicken breasts, can of cream of soup(chicken, musroom) and the rice. Simple lol

acaisha
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM

most often when we have chicken and rice its tandori chicken with jasmine rice

Serenity75
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Chicken & rice is hubby's favorite, so I make this often.  I switch up how I cook the chicken and which rice I use, so it doesn't get boring.

Serenity75
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM

This is one of our favorites, it's from Campbells:

One Dish Chicken & Rice Bake

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)

1 cup water

3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice

1/4 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

• Stir the soup, water, rice, paprika and black pepper in a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with the chicken. Season with additional paprika and black pepper. Cover the baking dish.
  • Bake at 375°F. for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.
SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM

This is a great recipe. The chicken always turns out very moist.

Quoting Serenity75:

This is one of our favorites, it's from Campbells:

One Dish Chicken & Rice Bake

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)

1 cup water

3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice

1/4 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

• Stir the soup, water, rice, paprika and black pepper in a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with the chicken. Season with additional paprika and black pepper. Cover the baking dish.
  • Bake at 375°F. for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.

periwinkle163
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

I use chicken breasts, can of cream of soup(chicken, musroom) and the rice. Simple lol

This is my favorite way too. It's so simple and easy.

epoh
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM
I always make Spanish rice and beans with chicken. I really should experiment more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SilaLumenn
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Chicken breasts and one can cream of mushroom soup, chopped onion if desired, in the slow cooker for 8 hours. Then make a box of Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice. Shred the chicken and stir in the rice. Delicious!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN