Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the week: squash

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:37 AM
  • 14 Replies

Squash may have been the reason that Native Indians in South America left their hunter/gatherer ways and started growing their food.  0ur word "squash" comes from the Massachuset Indian word askutasquash, meaning "eaten raw or uncooked." Although the Indians may have eaten some forms of squash without cooking, today we usually like our squashes cooked.

Squash is usually divided into two groups: summer squash and winter squash. The late-growing, less symmetrical, odd-shaped, rough or warty kinds, small to medium in size, but with long-keeping qualities and hard rinds, are usually called winter squash. The small, quick-growing forms that are eaten before the rinds and seeds begin to harden are called summer squash.

Squashes are well known in North & South America, but since this is a plant that requires a fair amount of hot weather for best growth, it has never become very well known in northern Europe, the British Isles, or in similar areas with short or cool summers. Italy does grow some summer squash, including zucchini.

Acorn, butternut, yellow crookneck, spaghetti, zucchini and even pumpkin; what is your favorite and how do you prepare it?

by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Butternut Squash Soup

v  1 large butternut squash

v  1 large apple, pealed and diced

v  1 onion diced

v  1 tsp fresh ginger, minced

v  ½ head garlic

v  1-2 tbsp butter (you can use olive oil if you prefer)

v  1 quart chicken stock

Roast squash in 400 degree oven for 1to 1½ hours.  Roast garlic for about ½ to 1 hour.  I do this before I make the soup...usually when I have the oven on for something else, I'll just throw the butternut squash in along with and store in the fridge until I'm ready to make the soup.   It's actually easier to work with if it's cooled down.

Cut the butternut squash in half, remove the skin and the seeds.  Sautee the onion, apple and ginger in a soup pan until softened, add chicken stock, then add roasted garlic and butternut squash, simmer for about 30 minutes.

If you have an immersion blender, this works the best....pulse until creamy.  You can also use a blender or food processor.  Puree in 2-3 batches until creamy.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Calabacitos (Mexican corn & squash)
1 can corn (or bag frozen or 2 ears cooked fresh)
1-2 zucchini diced (cut in half lengthwise, cut in quarters lengthwise, then dice)
1-2 tblsp butter
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup grated cheese (jack or cheddar or combo)

Melt butter, sauté zucchini for 2 mins, add corn to warm.  Just before you're about to serve, add cheese and stir.  This makes a creamy sauce that kids love.  For a more adult flavor, add diced onions and diced red peppers when you sauté zucchini.

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I like boiled yellow squash with zucchini. 

acaisha
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

we do it a few ways... for butternut or acorn squash I like it split in half then roasted flesh side up in the oven with some butter, honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon and cumin. Spaghetti squash I usually stuff with rice and hamburger mix (like cabbage or stuffed peppers) then top with spaghetti sauce and serve with more sauce and parm. cheese.

pumpkin my favorite is pumpkin loaf mmmm

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I made this soup, when SanDiegoMaxMom was so gracious to reply to my request for one in another group. After I roasted it, my plans changed and I wasn't able to make it right away, so I froze it and made it later. It was really good.

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

Butternut Squash Soup

v  1 large butternut squash

v  1 large apple, pealed and diced

v  1 onion diced

v  1 tsp fresh ginger, minced

v  ½ head garlic

v  1-2 tbsp butter (you can use olive oil if you prefer)

v  1 quart chicken stock

Roast squash in 400 degree oven for 1to 1½ hours.  Roast garlic for about ½ to 1 hour.  I do this before I make the soup...usually when I have the oven on for something else, I'll just throw the butternut squash in along with and store in the fridge until I'm ready to make the soup.   It's actually easier to work with if it's cooled down.

Cut the butternut squash in half, remove the skin and the seeds.  Sautee the onion, apple and ginger in a soup pan until softened, add chicken stock, then add roasted garlic and butternut squash, simmer for about 30 minutes.

If you have an immersion blender, this works the best....pulse until creamy.  You can also use a blender or food processor.  Puree in 2-3 batches until creamy.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Feb. 7, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I have only tried spaghetti squash and I didn't care for it. Since pumpkin counts I would say pumpkin is my favorite!

epoh
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM
I love every kind of squash. Well, almost every kind; I've never tried acorn squash. I grew my own zucchini a couple years back and made stuffed zucchini numerous times that summer :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM

This is a very different way to cook squash. They don't seem like a vegetable to kids.

Golden Squash Patties

2 cup. cooked fresh yellow squash

1/4 cup. finely chopped onion

1 egg

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

oil for frying

Cook onion and squash till done. Add salt, sugar, pepper. Stir till luke warm and mashed up. Add eggs and flour mixture to make a batter. Drop by 2 tablespoon size in hot oil. Cook slow and turn till browned lightly. Will look somewhat like pancakes.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM

This is a good one to serve kids that don't usually like squash. They like the BBQ sauce.

Barbeque Squash

1/2 cup butter
4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
4 cups thinly sliced yellow squash
1/2 cup bottled barbeque sauce
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a large covered skillet, saute zucchini in 1/4 cup butter, stirring frequently, 7-20 minutes or until slices are transparent. Set aside. In the remaining 1/4 cup butter, saute yellow squash. Return the zucchini to the pan. Pour barbecue sauce over the vegetables and toss until coated. Heat and place in a shallow over-proof dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Broil 5" from heat for 1 or 2 minutes until the crumbs are golden brown. Serves 6-8.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Squash & Zucchini Noodles

2 large summer squash
2 large zucchini
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/4 cup chicken stock or water
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
Cut both ends off the squash and zucchini and then slice int very long, thin strips. (You can also use a potato peeler to do this). In a large saute pan over high heat, heat olive oil; add minced garlic, zucchini and squash "noodles:. Saute very briefly, about 1 minute, just to coat everything. . Add chicken stock or water; continue to cook for another 2 minutes or so. The steam created will help cook the "noodles". Season with salt and pepper. Toss "noodles" with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese; serve immediately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)