Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

banana and pumpkin

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

It's been a while since I baked and figure everyone needs a treat in my house so I thawed one bag of pumpkin I REALLY need to use up (its cooked and pureed) and some banana's.. I don't want to make loafs but was thinking muffins perhaps? or cookies? anyone got a good recipe?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Pumpkin Mini Muffins
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 cup pumpkin
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 375. Combine sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs. Mix together dry ingredients and stir into pumpkin mixture. Pour batter into greased and floured mini-muffin pans. Bake 8-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Notes: Regular muffin pans can also be use. Just adjust the cooking time to 10-15 minutes. These freeze well.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

The crumb topping makes these sensational.

Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 bananas, mashed

3/4 cup white sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/3 cup butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla or rum flavoring 

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg 

1 tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.

In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.

Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

acaisha
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM

these sound good and easy to figure out the points for me.. i might subsitute half the oil for sour cream and see how they taste.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Pumpkin Mini Muffins
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 cup pumpkin
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 375. Combine sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs. Mix together dry ingredients and stir into pumpkin mixture. Pour batter into greased and floured mini-muffin pans. Bake 8-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Notes: Regular muffin pans can also be use. Just adjust the cooking time to 10-15 minutes. These freeze well.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup white sugar

1 cup butter

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3 ripe bananas, mashed

2 cups rolled oats

1 cup raisins, dried cranberries, dried blueberries or semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon, stir into the creamed mixture. Then add the mashed bananas, rolled oats and raisins or chocolate chips, mix until well blended.

Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto unprepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove cookies from pan to cool on wire racks.

acaisha
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I ended up making these

But not bread I made 12 muffins and 24 mini muffins with the recipe doubled.. i also added more spice because everyone in my house loves things spicy and complains when its not

Pumpkin Banana Bread

StumbleUpon

Baking is a science and remaking cakes and breads to make them healthier is not always as easy as say remaking a pot of soup or a casserole. So whenever I am experimenting with baking, my fingers are crossed the whole time. I wasn't too worried about this pumpkin banana bread because I basically took my Banana Nut Bread recipe which is a deliciously moist bread and I improvised it with the pumpkin and spices. This came out super moist and we had a difficult time waiting for it to cool because it smelled so good! We scoffed up half this bread before I got a chance to photograph it. This was wonderful topped with some Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese!

Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 12 slices (1 loaf) Serving Size: 1 slice Old Points: 3 pts Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 146.5 • Fat: 2.7 g Carb: 33.3 g Fiber: 1.6 g Protein: 2.7 g 

• Pam baking spray
  • 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves*
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg*
  • 3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, unpacked
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional, 5 pts+ per slice if using)

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with baking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, egg, bananas, pumpkin and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
Add flour mixture and nuts (if using), then blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix.

Pour
batter into loaf pan and bake on the center rack for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.

* 1 tsp of pumpkin spice can be substituted for cloves and nutmeg.

periwinkle163
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Quoting acaisha:

I ended up making these

But not bread I made 12 muffins and 24 mini muffins with the recipe doubled.. i also added more spice because everyone in my house loves things spicy and complains when its not

Pumpkin Banana Bread

StumbleUpon

Baking is a science and remaking cakes and breads to make them healthier is not always as easy as say remaking a pot of soup or a casserole. So whenever I am experimenting with baking, my fingers are crossed the whole time. I wasn't too worried about this pumpkin banana bread because I basically took my Banana Nut Bread recipe which is a deliciously moist bread and I improvised it with the pumpkin and spices. This came out super moist and we had a difficult time waiting for it to cool because it smelled so good! We scoffed up half this bread before I got a chance to photograph it. This was wonderful topped with some Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese!

Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 12 slices (1 loaf) Serving Size: 1 slice Old Points:3 pts Points+:4 pts
Calories: 146.5 • Fat: 2.7 g Carb: 33.3 g Fiber: 1.6 g Protein: 2.7 g 

• Pam baking spray
  • 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves*
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg*
  • 3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, unpacked
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional, 5 pts+ per slice if using)

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with baking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, egg, bananas, pumpkin and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
Add flour mixture and nuts (if using), then blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix.

Pour
batter into loaf pan and bake on the center rack for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.

* 1 tsp of pumpkin spice can be substituted for cloves and nutmeg.

What a clever way to use both up. Sounds tasty.

P.V.Hawkwind
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 9:41 PM

did you make the cream cheese too?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)