Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week: Chili

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 12:14 PM
  • 33 Replies

The only thing certain about the origins of chili is that it did not originate in Mexico. Charles Ramsdell, a writer from San Antonio in an article called San Antonio: An Historical and Pictorial Guide, wrote: "Chili, as we know it in the U.S., cannot be found in Mexico today except in a few spots which cater to tourists. If chili had come from Mexico, it would still be there. For Mexicans, especially those of Indian ancestry, do not change their culinary customs from one generation, or even from one century, to another."

There are many legends and stories about where chili originated and it is generally thought, by most historians, that the earliest versions of chili were made by the very poorest people. J. C. Clopper, the first American known to have remarked about San Antonio's chili carne, wrote in 1926: "When they have to pay for their meat in the market, a very little is made to suffice for a family; this is generally into a kind of hash with nearly as many peppers as there are pieces of meat - this is all stewed together."

Some Spanish priests were said to be wary of the passion inspired by chile peppers, assuming they were aphrodisiacs.  A few preached sermons against indulgence in a food which they said was almost as "hot as hell's brimstone"  and "Soup of the Devil."  The priest's warning probably contributed to the dish's popularity.

There is little doubt, however, that Texas is famous for it's chili.

How do you make your chili? Hot and spicy or mild? dPlease share your recipes.

by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I love it.  I make a Texas/Cincinnati mix that everyone loves!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM

My chili recipe is simple and mild. How do you make yours?

Chili

1 lb. lean ground beef

1 small onion, diced

½ tsp. ground garlic, or 2-3 fresh cloves garlic

1-3 Tablespoons chili powder (to your taste)

1/2 tsp. salt

½ tsp. ground oregano

1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1 (15 oz.) can tomatoes

1 cup. hot water

1 can kidney or pinto beans, drained

In large skillet or sauce pan, cook the meat, onion and garlic. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, tomatoes, hot water, and beans & mix well. Simmer 1 hour.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Feb. 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I love chili, it's one of my favorite dishes. I use lean hamburger, tomato sauce, drained kidney beans and salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Sometimes I add red chili flakes. I can't stand bland chili.

emilyellensmom
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM

My family loves chili but i cheat and i use the packets from Mccormick one orginal and one mild. I use tomoto sauce and kidney beans both light and dark. And we always put some cheese on the top :)

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

Chili

1 lb. lean ground beef

1 small onion, diced

1/2 tsp. salt

½ tsp. ground oregano

1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1 (15 oz.) can tomatoes

1 cup. hot water

In large skillet or sauce pan, cook the meat, onion and garlic. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, tomatoes, hot water, and beans & mix well. Simmer 1 hour.

Mine consists of ground beef, onion, celery seed, minced garlic, chili powder, paprika, basil, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, cumin, crushed red pepper, allspice, salt, black pepper, cocoa, Worcester, tomato paste, chicken bouillon, beef bouillon and flour.

Beyond that, depending how I am serving it, I may add beans, something serve over pasta, can be topped with onions or cheddar.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM

You use a lot of different spices in yours. Sounds good.

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Chili

1 lb. lean ground beef

1 small onion, diced

1/2 tsp. salt

½ tsp. ground oregano

1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1 (15 oz.) can tomatoes

1 cup. hot water

Mine consists of ground beef, onion, celery seed, minced garlic, chili powder, paprika, basil, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, cumin, crushed red pepper, allspice, salt, black pepper, cocoa, Worcester, tomato paste, chicken bouillon, beef bouillon and flour.

Beyond that, depending how I am serving it, I may add beans, something serve over pasta, can be topped with onions or cheddar.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM

When the kids were little, I used to do that to. It sure works when you don't have much time.

Quoting emilyellensmom:

My family loves chili but i cheat and i use the packets from Mccormick one orginal and one mild. I use tomoto sauce and kidney beans both light and dark. And we always put some cheese on the top :)

Serenity75
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I always make mine in the crockpot and keep it simple: lb of ground beef, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can of pinto beans, 1 can chopped tomatoes in greeen chili spices, and a chili seasoning packet.  It's nothing fancy, but we like it :)

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I make mine in the crock pot. Just 1 pound of ground beef cooked in chili powder, 2 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes & salsa

Serenity75
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Yesterday for our Meatless Monday I made a similar vegetarian version from Betty Crocker:

Vegetarian Chili with Spicy Tortilla Strips

Prep Time:10 min
Start to Finish:6 hr 10 min
makes:6 servings
Chili
1 can (15 to 16 oz) dark red kidney beans, drained
1 can (15 to 16 oz) spicy chili beans, undrained
1 can (15 to 16 oz) pinto beans, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz) chili-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
Spicy Tortilla Strips
3 corn or flour tortillas (6 inch)
  Cooking spray
  Dash ground red pepper (cayenne)
1. In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix chili ingredients. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours.
2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Lightly sprinkle red pepper on one side of tortillas. Cut into 1/2-inch strips. Place in single layer on ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until strips are crisp and edges are light brown.
4. To serve, stir chili well. Top individual servings with tortilla strips.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)