Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week: cream cheese

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM
  • 47 Replies

There are French references to cream cheese as early as 1651. References to cream cheese in England start from at least 1754, and recipes follow soon after.

According to  Kraft Foods, the first American cream cheese was made in New York in 1872 by American dairyman William Lawrence. In 1880, 'Philadelphia' was adopted as the brand name, after the city that was considered at the time to be the home of top quality food

Cream cheese is  used in savory snacks of various types (for example, as a spread on bread, bagels, crackers, various types of raw vegetables, etc.), and can be used in cheesecakes and salads. It can also be used to make cheese sauces.  It is sometimes used in place of or in addition to butter when making cakes or cookies, and it is also used to make cream cheese icing. It is the main ingredient in crab rangoon, an appetizer commonly served at Chinese restaurants. It can also be used instead of butter or olive oil in mashed potatoes to create a creamy taste.

How do you use it, and what is your favorite recipes for it?

by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Here's one of my favorite appetizers

Stuffed Mushroom Delight

Yield 2 dozen

24 large fresh mushrooms

1 lb. Bulk pork sausage

½ cup chopped onion

2 T. minced parsley

1/8 teaspoon pepper

2 Tablespoons bread crumbs

1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened

Clean mushrooms with damp paper towels. Remove stems; chop and place in gallon size zip-lock bag. Place 1-2 Tablespoons oil in bag. Close bag and toss to coat with oil. Place mushroom caps on foil lined sheet pan. Place in 425 oven for 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, combine chopped stems and sausage in large skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring to crumble. Drain into colander & pat dry with a paper towel. Return to skillet; add onion, parsley, salt & pepper. Cook over low heat till thoroughly heated. Add breadcrumbs. Add cream cheese, stirring until blended. Remove from heat. Place mushroom caps on an ungreased baking sheet. Spoon mixture into cups. Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes, or till golden brown.

(can be prepared ahead to this point and placed in refrigerator)

Gild the lily: top with grated cheddar cheese

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Feb. 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I love the interesting facts that you throw in with these posts. I enjoy cream cheese in all it's tasty forms, but my absolute favorite use has to be cheesecake.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I don't really care for cheesecake made with ricotta cheese. I love them made with cream cheese. Do you have a favorite flavor? I like raspberry or chocolate raspberry.

Quoting periwinkle163:

I love the interesting facts that you throw in with these posts. I enjoy cream cheese in all it's tasty forms, but my absolute favorite use has to be cheesecake.

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Never use it. Allergic to it.

Serenity75
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:18 PM

We use cream cheese on a lot... too much probably -lol.

VanBurren
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 7:38 PM

My favorite recipe is Taco-Stuffed Jumbo Pasta Shells that calls for only 3-4 oz of cream cheese, but I use the whole brick (8oz)!!

epoh
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM
I just put it in our Mac n cheese this week :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caitlynevansmom
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM
I made this one night. Got thumbs up from the hubby.

Spicy Pasta with Sweet Potatoes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1 large (12 oz.) sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (2 cups)
1/2 tsp. each sugar, chili powder, and cinnamon
8 oz. dried rigatoni
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 3-oz. pkg. cream cheese, cut up
2 tsp. Asian chili sauce (such as Sriracha sauce)
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
6 green onions, thinly sliced

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Oil a rimmed baking pan; set aside. Place sweet potato cubes in bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the sugar, chili powder, and cinnamon. Spread in prepared pan; bake 20 minutes or until tender.

2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup hot pasta water.

3. In saucepan combine peanut butter, cream cheese, chili sauce, and soy sauce; whisk in 3/4 cup of the hot pasta water. Stir over medium heat until heated through. If too thick, stir in additional water. Stir in most of the green onions. Serve sauce over pasta with sweet potatoes and remaining onion. Makes 4 servings.

Source:

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pasta/spicy-pasta-with-sweet-potatoes/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acaisha
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM

My favorite is a cream cheese dip I make at Christmas its super easy I use fat free cream cheese but you can use either.

1/2 small package of cream cheese (appox 1 cup)

2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce

toasted seasame seeds

green jalapeno jelly

Mix cream cheese with the soy sauce, spread on small dish, top with a thin layer of jalapeno jelly, sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Serve with crackers. My favorite are wheat thins mmmmm

DeeDee323
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Quoting VanBurren:

My favorite recipe is Taco-Stuffed Jumbo Pasta Shells that calls for only 3-4 oz of cream cheese, but I use the whole brick (8oz)!!

Can I request this recipe? Sounds like something my family would devour!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)