Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel for my husband :( need to vent

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:52 PM
  • 12 Replies

I really feel for my husband...... He works so hard for me and our five kids. We do it all on our own, no help from the state or family and friends. I like it that way, makes everything we have so much more worth it. He does remodeling we have our own business. He gets most of his work from a gentleman that does insurance remodeling or fire and water damage. My husband is the best at what he does. He has gotten so many compliments and he is very fair on his prices but this guy wants to keep knocking down his prices. This guy is not wanting to meet my husband in the middle. He feels like he is in a hamster wheel that just keeps spinning, he is getting no where. He has spent 15 years to get he where he is now. He wants to talk the guy but is afraid of him getting offensive and not give him work anymore. I love my husband I see how hard he works for us, We just want  financial security and for people to not take advantage of my husband. My husband puts 150% into his work regardless of the pay and this guy sees it and is taking completely advantage of it. I feel helpless, I stay home and take care of our little ones. I am just getting tired of those that abuse the system and are not grateful with what they have and take advantage of those that work for what they have. Sorry to vent here, but I wanted to get it out. I can not tell anyone that I am close to because they would want to help and I don't want that. Just need a listening ear that's all. Here is a pic of my husbands work.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Sorry this is a bad time for you.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM

nice work on the bathroom...hope every thing will work out.....

bigblueeyes
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:59 PM

have your husband talk to the guy and explain to him that he has a family he's trying to support and that he really appreciates all the work he gives him and he gives him such a good deal because he is uch a wonderful client and he just can't afford to give him any bigger of a discount than he already does

Kimberly954
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM

My husband does the remodeling for the insurance company and I know the insurance co and the heads of his company make my husband beat the subs down on price to where he knows they are not making any money. It sucks and my DH hates that they do this to the subs. He thinks once you finally get a good sub, you can't keep cutting the price to where they arent making any money because then they wont work for you anymore. So unless you are in FL working for the same company, this must be common practice.

KaylaMillar
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

wow! Your husband does great work!!  Does he want to take a trip to FL to redo my house?!  I kinda what you guys are going through.  My husband owns his own lawncare buisness which is pretty big.  He always has people that will want him to cut their lawn and then after they pay be like " oh you were suppose to trim my hedges too!"  Then when he tells them for the total of the hedges they flip out!  I hope things change for your DH!! 

adnilm
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I feel badly for your husband, but it's not poor people that is the problem, it's someone higher up on the totem pole.  Not those on the bottom

mommy6xs
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:03 PM
He needs to stand his ground. Get what he deserves, if he lowers it, it would seem as if he didn't feel his work was worth much. I hope that made sense, it did in my head, LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiemross
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM

My dad is an independent contractor, and the same kind of thing happens to him, especially when it's a longtime customer- "C'mon, John, I've been coming to you for fifteen years, can't you knock it down? For a pal?" and all that. It sucks for my dad, as he is over sixty now and works 15-20 hour days. But he refuses to budge on prices any more, and says to the customers that he has to pay the overhead for the business, and unless said customer wishes to sponsor him, the prices can go no lower. Your husband's tilework is gorgeous- best of luck to all of you.

rocamom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM

My dad is in the carpentry business and when he gives a price that's what it is.  Sounds like your husband needs to tell the guy this IS the price.  Being in business isn't easy but your hubby can't work for free either.  GOOD LUCK to you guys!!!!

acaisha
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:44 PM

can he look for someone else to get work from?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)