Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week: Birthday Cake

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM
  • 29 Replies

Origin of Birthday Cakes dates back to ancient times but the cake of then was very different from what we have today. The word ‘cake’ is said to have coined as early as 13th century and is said to have derived from ‘kaka’- an Old Norse word.
 Birthday cakes were mostly round in shape.  Greeks offered round shape cake to the Goddess of Moon - Artemis as it signified moon. They even placed candles on the cake to make the cake glow like the moon.

Some scholars say that candles were placed on the cake because people believe that the smoke of the candle carried their wishes and prayers to Gods who lived in the skies. Others believe that the custom originated in Germany where people used to place a large candle in the centre of the cake to symbolize ‘the light of life’.

With the time, the art of baking cakes kept progressing and it was not until the middle of the 19th century that the cake we know of today developed. Taste and appearance of the cake was enhanced with extra-refined white flour and the use of baking powder instead of yeast. the phrase "Happy Birthday" did not appear on birthday cakes until the song Happy Birthday to You was popularized in the early 1900s. Variations on birthday song rituals exist. For example, in New Zealand, the Happy Birthday to You is sung out of tune and is followed by clapping, once for each year of the persons life and once more for good luck. In Uruguay, party guests touch the birthday person's shoulder or head following the singing of Happy Birthday to You. In Ecuador, sometimes the birthday person will take a large bite off the birthday cake before it's served.
The Chinese birthday pastry is the sou bao , lotus-paste-filled buns made of wheat flour which are shaped and colored to resemble peaches. A single large pastry is not often served, rather each guest is served their own. In Korea, the traditional birthday dish is a seaweed soup. In Western Russia, birthday children are served fruit pies with a birthday greetings carved into the crusts. The Swedish birthday cake is made like a pound cake and is often topped with marzipan and decorated with the national flag. A Dutch birthday pastry are fruit tarts topped with whipped cream. The Mexican birthday tradition involves a piñata, a colored brittle container filled with candy. In India it's common to rub a piece of cake icing on the face of the birthday person, after the cake has been cut.

What happens at your house? Do you purchase a Birthday Cake for your children and DH or SO, or do you make it? If you make it do you a box mix? Do you doctor it up? Do you have one cake that you make especially for Birthdays, or does each person pick their favorite? What happens when it's your Birthday? Please share recipes.

by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lexismum03
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I usually buy dd's bday cake but this year I'm going to try and make it! Last year she had an ice cream cake. I don't usually get much for my bday and dh doesn't either. we usually just go out for a family dinner!

crazymomof4787
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I have 2 birthday cakes in my frig right now.  They both are store bought.   My birthday was over the weekend.  Dh got one and so did my older daughter. 

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I make all our cakes (even my own).
I don't have a good recipe though, I usually make a box cake.  But I love to decorate them.  I took the Wilton cake decorating classes a couple of years ago and it was so much fun.  So now I'm expected to make a cool looking cake for everyone each year.

acaisha
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I make them :) I usually do pretty crazy cakes LOL

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM

i make them.  For my sons last birthday i made him a cookie cake!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 7, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Too cute. 

Quoting KaylaMillar:

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM

When they were little, I made a lot of different cakes. Winnie the pooh, Superman, dog, a train, a car, a snake, a lizard, a hamburger. Now, one son usually asks for Boston Cream Pie. My other son always asks for a Lemon Meringue Pie. The little girl had the doll cake several years, a different Disney princess every year. DH wants plain cheesecake, and for my birthday either the boys make my cake or DH orders one from the bakery.

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 8, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Looks yummy!  I've always wanted to do one of these but always forget when birthdays come around.

Quoting KaylaMillar:

elijahsmama09
by on Mar. 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I love making my own. Marshmallow fondont is my friend!!!

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I made this cake for my "stepson's" birthday last month.  It is an Oreo Cookie cake and although it doesn't look that pretty it tasted soooooo good!  The filling is really yummy.

1 pkg chocolate cake mix
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups cool whip
12 Oreos, crushed
8 oz chocolate chips
2 tsp canola oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on package in 2 (9") round cake pans.  Cool in pan 5 minutes, remove and let cool completely.

2.  Stuffing:  beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with electgric mixer on medium speed until well blended.  Gently stir in cool whip and crushed cookies.

3.  Chocolate glaze:  melt 8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips and canola oil in a bowl in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring after every 30 seconds, until smooth.

4.  Assemble cake:  place 1 of the cake layers on a serving plate, top-side down.  Spread top of cake layer evenly with cream cheese mixture.  Place remaining cake layer on top, top-side up.  Spoon glaze to cover top of cake only.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)