Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week, March 6: Strawberries

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM
  • 26 Replies

The Name Strawberry was derived from the berries that are "strewn" about on the plants, and "strewn berry" eventually became "Strawberry".
They are from the Rosaceae family (the same family that roses are in). They are not berries or fruit at all, but enlarged ends of the plant's stamen. Strawberry seeds are on the outer skin, instead of in the inner berry, There are about 200 seeds per berry.

One cup of strawberries (144 grams) contains approximately 45 calories.
The berries are non-fat and low in calories, rich in vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, fiber, and vitamin B6. Over history the strawberries have been used in medicines. They have been used for sunburn, discolored teeth, digestion, and gout. As far back as the 13th century,the Strawberry was used as an anaphrodisiac.

Strawberries were served at medieval state events, they symbolized prosperity, peace, and perfection. The most famous public eating of strawberries is at Wimbledon each year, when strawberries and cream are consumed between tennis matches by properly attired English. It is also known that Russian empresses also loved them.

American Indians allegedly invented Strawberry shortcake, mashing berries in meal to make bread the colonists enjoyed.

I love the smell of them and of course, the taste. Strawberry shortcake, Sprawberry pie, Strawberry sundae, Strawberry preserves, in salads, or just for eating out of hand. What is your favorite way of eating them? Please share your favorite recipes.

by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CailynsMom1229
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM
I love plain strawberries, strawberries with nutella, and chocolate covered strawberries. I also like strawberries on top of belgian waffles w/ whipped cream
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lexismum03
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM

chocolate covered strawberries are my favorite as well as strawberry shortcakes. I would love to know how to make a strawberry pie!

Serenity75
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I've been meaning to try that strawberry bread recipe someone posted a while back... guess this would be a good time to finally do it since strawberry in the ingredient of the week :)

acaisha
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM

mmm my fav is grilled strawberry short cake

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Mmmm, we LOVE strawberries here.  This was the one food I craved when I was pregnant.  We like to just eat them plain mostly.  But sometimes I'll sprinkle a little sugar on them or top them with whipped cream...yum.

Kimberly954
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM

PLain cut up or chocolate dipped. Yum. Now i want chocolate dipped strawberrys. Might have to go make me some.

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Oh, we also like to put fresh strawberries in our strawberry daiquaries.  And strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite desserts!

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I love strawberry shortcake...like them just plain and blended with ice cream for a shake or in a pie:)

OliviaW.
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I love strawberries. Today I made a fruit salad with strawberries, bananas, apples and grapes.  There's none left now, Caitlin loved it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN