Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ingredient of the Week, March 13: Crescent Rolls

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2011 at 11:19 PM
  • 39 Replies

Crescent rolls are the modern, quick and easy equivalent of croissants, which have been around since 1838, concocted by an Austrian in a Viennese Bakery in Paris.  Croissants have become the best-known type of French pastry in much of the world. Leave it to the Pillsbury Company, and the Pillsbury Dough Boy, introduced in 1965, to make this modern convenience product, the crescent roll, into a staple on dinner tables, and then become used in many different recipes. How do you use these rolls? Do you use them to make a form of hot pocket sandwiches, or are they the base of a dessert for you? Please share your ideas and recipes.

by on Mar. 13, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
epoh
by on Mar. 14, 2011 at 5:13 AM
I like to make pigs in a blanket with them :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Mar. 14, 2011 at 5:13 AM
Using cheddar wurst. Nom!!

Quoting epoh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM

This is the only way I have ever used them...besides just eating them plain with butter.

We like cheese on ours too!

Quoting epoh:

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

we use them for pigs in a blanket too...or we'll just eat them plain.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I found some recipes...

Ham and egg crscent bake

INGREDIENTS
can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
eggs
cup diced cooked ham
1/4
cup chopped red bell pepper
cup shredded Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend (4 oz)
DIRECTIONS
  • 1Separate or cut dough into 2 long rectangles. Press rectangles in bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of ungreased 12x8-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish (if using crescent rolls, press perforations to seal).
  • 2In bowl, beat eggs; pour into dough-lined pan. Top with ham, bell pepper and cheese.
  • 3Bake at 375°F 15 to 20 minutes.
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Blueberry, walnute, and brie tartlets

INGREDIENTS
can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated reduced fat crescent dinner rolls or 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
1/4
cup blueberry or blackberry preserves
1/3
cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
round (8 oz) Brie cheese, rind removed, cut into 24 chunks
Fresh blueberries or fresh small sage leaves, if desired
DIRECTIONS
  • 1Heat oven to 350°F.
  • 2If using crescent rolls: Unroll dough and separate into 4 rectangles; firmly press perforations to seal. If using dough sheet: Unroll dough; cut into 4 rectangles.
  • 3Cut each into 6 squares. Gently press squares into mini muffin cups (dough will not completely cover inside of cup; do not press too much). Spoon 1/2 teaspoon preserves into each cup. Top with rounded 1/2 teaspoon nuts and 1 cheese chunk.
  • 4Bake 16 to 19 minutes or until edges are deep golden brown. Cool in pan on cooling rack 5 minutes; remove from muffin cups. Garnish each with fresh blueberries.
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM

• Flaky Pizza Snacks

Snack-time is a snap with these ultra-quick, bite-size pizzas made from simple crescent dough and cheesy topping.
    Prep Time:
    25 Min  
    Total Time:
    35 Min  
    Makes:
    16 snacks
    Member-Submitted Recipe
    Created By: 
    Important Info

Member-submitted recipes have not been tested and are not endorsed by Pillsbury.

Recipe
    Tips (0)
    Reviews (2)
    RECIPE TOOLBOX
    INGREDIENTS
    can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
    1/3
    cup pizza sauce
    1/4
    cup grated Parmesan cheese
    cup finely chopped tomato
    1/3
    cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    Chopped fresh basil leaves, if desired
    DIRECTIONS
    • 1Heat oven to 375°F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Unroll dough into 1 large rectangle; press perforations to seal.
    • 2Spread pizza sauce evenly over rectangle to within 1 inch of edges. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Starting at short side, roll up rectangle, jelly-roll fashion. With sharp knife, cut into 16 slices. Place cut side down on cookie sheet.
    • 3Top each slice with 1 tablespoon tomato and about 1 teaspoon mozzarella cheese.
    • 4Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted. (Bottoms will be very deep golden brown.) Top with basil.

pizza snacks

KamsOne
    by Jen on Mar. 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Ooh, those pizza snacks look good!

SweetLuci
    by Luci on Mar. 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I got this from a friend in another cooking group. She said her kids loved it.

Crescent Roll Pizza Pockets

1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated drescent dinner rolls
    1/4 cup pizza sauce
    3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup sliced pepperoni (24 slices)
    1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
    • Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll dough on cookie sheet and separate into 4 rectangles; press each into 6x4-inch rectangle, firmly pressing perforations to seal.
    • Spread 1 tablespoon pizza sauce on half of each rectangle to within 1 inch of edge. Sprinkle each with 3 tablespoons cheese; top with 6 slices pepperoni. Fold dough diagonally over filling; firmly press edges with fork to seal. Sprinkle each triangle with 1/4 teaspoon grated cheese. With fork, prick top of each to allow steam to escape.
    • Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until deep golden brown. Serve warm.

I didn't make them into triangles, I just folded them over like a "squarish-rectangle"!  Also, little one doesn't like pepperoni so I made some with plain cheese.  Next time I'm going to try using sliced deli or leftover ham or chicken! 

SuperPickle
    by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I dont use the tube kind but I make a killer Pumpkin Crescent Roll at Thanksgiving time!

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)