Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the week: March 20 Spring Begins

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM
  • 14 Replies

Since today is the first day of Spring, I thought I would ask what your favorite recipes are that make you think that Spring is here? I think of asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, Spring onions, lemons, and lamb. What food say Spring to you? Please share your recipes.

by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
epoh
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM
Nectarines, plums and peaches are starting to go on sale. Grapes and strawberries are also on sale. Spring for me is a mix of soups and lighter salads. I also enjoy more sandwiches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM

When I think of Spring, I think of lamb.

Roast Rack of Lamb

2 racks of lamb, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds each, trimmed
1 small clove garlic, peeled and minced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Fresh rosemary, thyme, or lavender sprigs

Prepare the racks of lamb at least 1 hour (or up to 4 hours) before cooking: Chop together the garlic, salt, rosemary, and pepper to make a coarse rub. Rub the racks with the mixture, cover, and set aside. (If you are not going to cook them within 2 hours, refrigerate, then bring to room temperature an hour before cooking.)
Preheat oven to 425° F. Heat a roasting pan in the oven for 10 minutes. Pat the racks of lamb dry with paper towels and coat lightly with the olive oil. Place the racks flesh-side down in the pan. Roast 15 to 20 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 145° F for medium rare (the temperature will rise about 10° when the lamb is out of the oven). Transfer the racks to a carving board. Let rest for 10 minutes. Slice between the ribs to separate the chops for serving. Garnish with the fresh herb sprigs.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 20, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Our spring break was this past week. 

When spring comes i think of strawberrys, grapes, fresh fruit, grilling out....

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Ours was too, and I'm sorry it's over, but I do need some rest! We start grilling out more, too.

Quoting KaylaMillar:

Our spring break was this past week. 

When spring comes i think of strawberrys, grapes, fresh fruit, grilling out....

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Ah spring!!!  Love it...love the season and the warm weather!!!
Sandals and flip flop time!!!!  Cooking outside!!!

Grilled Chicken (my dh recipe)
Boneless Chicken
Cooking Oil

Lightly coat chicken with cooking oil.  Place on grill...turning chicken pieces until done.

welcome spring.gif

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I love it when someone else cooks. DH is pretty hopeless, but I can get him to grill if I set up the food. This is a great one for him. Thanks

Quoting delanna6two:

Boneless Chicken
Cooking Oil

Lightly coat chicken with cooking oil.  Place on grill...turning chicken pieces until done.

welcome spring.gif

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

I love it when someone else cooks. DH is pretty hopeless, but I can get him to grill if I set up the food. This is a great one for him. Thanks

Quoting delanna6two:

Boneless Chicken
Cooking Oil

welcome spring.gif

You're welcome....dh is actually the best with grilling.....he taught me and does the ribs for the 4th.

elijahsmama09
by on Mar. 22, 2011 at 11:41 AM

My brother is awesome on the grill. He adds thing ot get the meat extra smokey and fall off the bone tender from cooking it like all day...it is heaven in your mouth. I want spring for BBQs!!

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 22, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Our springs aren't very spring-y.  Yesterday we had snow...yuck.  So my menu doesn't change much until late spring (end of May).

Then I start making lighter food such as more salads and more grilled stuff.  More fresh veggies. 
We have a butcher that has the best lemon pepper chicken...yum.  We only get it in the summer so I'm looking forward to that.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I love Asparagus in the Spring.

Asparagus Parmigiano

1 bunch asparagus spears
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Lawrey’s Seasoning salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a sauté pan or stockpot large enough for asparagus to lie flat, combine water, lemon juice, and seasoning salt; bring to a boil. Add asparagus and blanch for three minutes. Drain asparagus and submerge in ice water to stop blanching process.

Place drained asparagus in baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and more black pepper if desired. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese evenly over top and place in oven. Roast about 5-7 minutes, or until cheese melts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)