Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week, March 20th, Chicken Broth

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

Chicken broth or chicken stock. Although there is a difference, most of the time, most home cooks use the terms interchangeably.  Etymologically, stock is simply something one keeps a stock of for use. Nowadays usually conveniently conjured up by adding water to a commercial preparation ( the more refined-sounding bouillon cube, which dates from the 1930s), stock is traditionaly the product of a pot kept constantly simmering on the stove, to which odds and ends of meat, bones vegetables, etc. are added . What is the difference between chicken stock and chicken broth?
Chicken stock tends to be made more from bones or bony chicken pieces (backs & necks), whereas chicken broth is made more out of meat. Chicken stock tends to have a fuller mouth feel and richer flavor, due to the gelatin released by long-simmering bones.

Canned low-sodium chicken broth is the busy home-cook's best friend. If you've got an extra few minutes, enhance its flavor by adding any combination of the following and simmering for as long as you can: carrots, onions, leeks, celery, fennel, parsley, bay leaf, black peppercorns, or garlic. That'll help the flavor tremendously.

Enriching store-bought broth still won't give you the full stock experience, but unless you're making something like chicken noodle soup, where you really do want the stocky mouth feel, it's a great timesaver.

How do you use it and what do you call it? Please give us your favorite recipes.

by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
epoh
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM
I call it stock and I make it myself. I always have some in the freezer and make it every 3-4 weeks. I use it for soups, stews and chili. I also like to use stock for rice and other grains while cooking to add flavor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Good for you! I do occasionally, but most of the time I go the convenience route.

Quoting epoh:

I call it stock and I make it myself. I always have some in the freezer and make it every 3-4 weeks. I use it for soups, stews and chili. I also like to use stock for rice and other grains while cooking to add flavor.

Undomesticated
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I call it broth or stock.  If I'm buying it from the store, then broth (even the ones that say stock on the box).  If I'm making it at home, then I call it stock :).

I usually end up buying it in the store for the convience.  Though, this year, I'm planning on making more things like stock to keep on hand to save money.

I use it in an array of dishes.  I just used it in our Corn Chowder we had this week.  I use it in a lot of chicken dishes to add some chicken flavored moisture :).  And, every now and then I'll throw a splash in mashed potatoes.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I call it broth.  My favorite thing to make with it is this...soo yummy.  We serve it over rice.

Ingredients

• 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
  • 3/4 cup picante sauce
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional

Directions

• In a large saucepan, cook chicken and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the broth, corn and picante sauce and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in peppers and cilantro.
  • Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Spoon into bowls; top with cheese if desired. Yield: 7 servings (about 2 quarts).
KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I call it broth.  Most of the time I use store bought.  Occasionally I will make my own.  I use it all the time.  Not only in recipes but also when reheating some leftovers...such as rice or noodles that tend to be dry after reheating.  I'll just add a little broth to it to make it moist again.  I also use broth in my mashed potatoes instead of adding milk.  Gives them a great flavor. 

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Mar. 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I call it stock. My mom calls it broth so I'm not sure why,lol.

CashsMama
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I use it in everything!  I call it chicken stock.  I hate when I run out!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Instead of buying in canned, does anyone use chicken chicken bouillon cubes? I use a product called chicken base, which most restaurants use, and it's now available in some groceries. It's a paste, made from real chicken meat, and it mixes easily in water or another liquid, to add great flavor. I especially like adding it to gravies and sauces, because it adds flavor without extra liquid that thins it. But if you want to use it like broth or stock, just dissolve 1 teaspoon in 1 cup water. I also like that I can make just the amount I need at the time, and the rest keeps stored in the refrigerator, long shelf life.The brand I like is called Better than Bouillon, and is found near the bouillon cubes and soups, chicken broth. It's much cheaper, and better flavor, in my opinion. There are ones for beef, ham, clam, shrimp and turkey, too.Vegetarian friends use the vegetable base and love it.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Chicken & Dumplings

One 4-6 lb. Baking Hen
2 cans Chicken Broth
1 Onion
1-2 ribs celery
2-3 carrots
2-3 drops Yellow food coloring
½ teaspoon. Poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon. Lawrey’s seasoning salt
½ teaspoon. Black Pepper
One thing that makes a big difference is to buy a baking hen instead of a fryer. Then gently boil it in chicken broth to cover. This gives a wonderfully flavorful broth. Cook until meat is almost falling off the bones 1-1 1/2 hrs. Coarsely chop 1 onion, 2 ribs celery and 2-3 carrots. Sauté in a little butter and set aside. Remove chicken from broth to cool. Add onions, carrots and celery to broth. When cool enough to handle, pull chicken off bones and return meat to broth. Add 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring-not more- this makes it look really rich. I then add 1/2-tsp. poultry seasoning, Lawrey's seasoning salt & pepper to taste

Dumplings

¼-1/2 cup chicken broth (dip this out of the pot)
1 ¾ cup self-rising flour (can use Bisquick)
Mix together and then take a teaspoon or tablespoon (depending on t he size dumplings you want) and gently drop on top of boiling broth. I cover with a lid to let them steam, about 10-15 minutes or so-then uncover and make sure they are done, and leave lid off and cook about 5 minutes to firm up a bit.

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I use bouillon cubes sometimes.  I keep them in the house because dd likes to eat chicken broth when she's sick so I'll make it with the bouillon cubes.  Also I like to have them on hand in case I run out of chicken broth and need to make some for cooking or what not. 

I have never tried the paste.  But it sounds easy!  I might pick some up next time I am at the grocery store.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)