Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week, March 28: Mashed Potatoes

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM
  • 19 Replies

Potatoes have become such a European staple that it wouldn’t be hard to find someone in Ireland or Poland who would swear that the starchy little tuberous crop was indigenous to the Old World. But in fact, potatoes are native to the Americas and were only introduced to Europe in 1536.

Some say the recipe for mashed potatoes originates in 1771 when a French man named Antoine Parmentier came up with the idea of having a competition on ways to make potatoes. Having had the idea, it’s no surprise that he then won first place and then eventually began cultivating potatoes himself. The story goes that he hired a group of royal soldiers to guard his farm near Paris. But the guards were not vigilant enough; peasants stole Parmentier’s crops, effectively introducing potatoes into the cuisine of France and, much later, widespread Europe.

The basic recipe for mashed potatoes is pretty much the same all over. What distinguishes one recipe from another are the ingredients added after the potatoes are mashed. Many people add cheese, sour cream, bacon, garlic, onions, or herbs to flavor their potatoes.

How do you make yours? How do you use your leftovers, if there are any? 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
periwinkle163
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I like mine basic with gravy on top. Sometimes I will add a little cream cheese and chives. We very rarely have leftovers.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM

WE love them loaded!!

Ingredients

• 1 Packages Ore Ida Steam n' Mash Cut Russet Potatoes
  • 2/3 Cup(s) EVAPORATED MILK canned
  • 2 Tablespoon(s) BUTTER
  • 3 Ounce(s) PACKAGE CREAM CHEESE softened
  • 1/2 Cup(s) SOUR CREAM
  • 2 Teaspoon(s) FRESH CHIVES chopped
  • 1/2 Teaspoon(s) SALT
  • 1/2 Teaspoon(s) BLACK PEPPER ground
  • 1/4 Cup(s) CRUMBLED BACON
  • 1 Cup(s) CHEDDAR CHEESE shredded

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Microwave Potatoes according to package instructions.

2. In a large bowl, mix together hot Potatoes, milk and butter, and mash with a potato masher until smooth. For a smoother consistency, mix with an electric mixer to desired consistency. Add cream cheese, sour cream, chives, salt and pepper, and mix well. Spread evenly into baking dish. Top with bacon crumbles and cheese.

3. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I use instant potatoes and make them in the microwave.....My stovetop potatoes always turn out horrible.

Mashed Potatoes
Instant Mashed Potatoes
Margarine
Water
Salt
Lemon Pepper Seasoning (optional)

Place potatoe flakes in microwavable dish.  Add water until the potato flakes are moistened.  Place in microwave 10 minutes.  Take out stir/add margarine and salt and more water if needed.  Place back in microwave about 6-8 minutes.  Add more margarine and seasoning as desired before serving.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM

We really love them anyway.  Garlic, with gravy, plain...

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I usually add a block of cream cheese to mine.  Makes them so much creamier.  Depending on how we want them I'll add garlic or cheese to them also.  Sometimes I'll add a packet of ranch dressing mix...gives them a wonderful flavor.

KamsOne
by Jen on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM

As for leftovers I will normally make a shepherd's pie to use them up.

jenstartingover
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Milk, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  My boys are too picky to get very creative.  I'll eat mashed potatoes any way I can get them!  I love them!

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Tomorrow night i'm making a curried chicken shepherds pie.  It looks really good. 

Quoting KamsOne:

As for leftovers I will normally make a shepherd's pie to use them up.

crazymomof4787
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I make potato pancakes with my leftover mashed potatoes. 

Jess003
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Our family loves mashed potatoes and we always use real potatoes, The russet burbanks are the best with cheese butter and sour cream, yumm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN