Three-Cheese Spinach Calzones
Our Italian mother used to whip up these yummy dough pockets when we came home from school for lunch. They’re easy to pick up and dip in sauce.—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, MI
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, warmed
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. On a lightly
- floured surface, unroll pizza crust into an 11-in. square. Cut into
- four squares. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Spoon spinach
- mixture over half of each square to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Fold one corner over filling to the opposite corner, forming a
- triangle; press edges with a fork to seal. Cut slits in top. Repeat.
- Combine egg and water; brush over calzones. Bake at 375° for
- 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with spaghetti sauce.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 calzone with 1/4 cup sauce equals 549 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 1,637 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein.
on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM