Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipe of the Week, April 4: Pizza

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM
  • 20 Replies

Considered a peasant's meal in Italy for centuries we cannot say who invented the very first pizza pie. Food historians agree that pizza like dishes were eaten by many peoples in the Mediterranean including the Greeks and Egyptians.

Eventually the idea of flat bread found its way to Italy where, in the 18th century, the flat breads called "Pizzas", were sold on the streets and in the markets. They were not topped with anything but were enjoyed au naturel. Since they were relatively cheap to make, were tasty and filling, they were sold to the poor all over Naples by street vendors.
In about 1889, Queen Margherita, accompanied by her husband, Umberto I, took an inspection tour of her Italian Kingdom. During her travels around Italy she saw many people, especially the peasants, eating this large, flat bread. Curious, the queen ordered her guards to bring her one of these Pizza breads. The Queen loved the bread and would eat it every time she was out amongst the people, which caused some consternation in Court circles. It was not seemly for a Queen to dine on peasant's food.
 To honor the queen who was so beloved by her subjects, Rafaelle decided to make a very special pizza just for her. He baked a Pizza topped with tomatoes, Mozarella Cheese, and fresh Basil (to represent the colors of the Italian flag: Red, white, and green).

This became Queen Margherita's favorite pizza and when word got out that this was one of the queen's favorite foods, she became even more popular with the Italian people. She also started a culinary tradition, the Pizza Margherita, which lasts to this very day in Naples and has now spread throughout the world.

Pizza spread to America, France, England and Spain, where it was little known until after World War II. While occupying Italian territories, many American and European soldiers tasted Pizza for the first time. It was love at first taste! Italian immigrants had been selling Pizzas in their American stores for some time, but it was the returning soldiers with a lust for the saucy delight that drew the Pizzas out of the quiet Italian neighborhoods into the main stream of city life all over the continent.

It's the second favorite food of Americans, after hamburgers. So do you go out for pizza, have it delivered, use purchased frozen pizza or make your own from scratch or a combination of these? ? If you make your own, please share your method and recipes. What are your favorite toppings? Does everyone in the family like the same kind? If not, how do you handle that difficulty?

by on Apr. 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
epoh
by on Apr. 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM
I do all of the above! And really, I like pretty much any kind of pizza :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Serenity75
by on Apr. 4, 2011 at 8:04 AM

BUMP!

KamsOne
by Jen on Apr. 4, 2011 at 9:24 AM

We go out for pizza.  Sometimes we'll make it at home.  And I love frozen pizza (Tony's brand) but I try not to buy it because it's soooooo bad for you!  Probably why it's so good.  ha ha.

I love peppers and onions on my pizza.  Vikki just likes cheese.  And Nick likes meaty pizza.

That's why I love "make your own pizza night", that way everyone gets what they want.  I usually buy the premade crusts (such as boboli) and I'll cut up toppings and we can just add whatever we like to them.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Apr. 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM

we usually go out for pizza.  If we do it ususally hungry  howies because they're cheap.  If we want to sit down its gorgeios...soooo good!! 

I love cheese pizza, pepperoni, sausage, ham, bacon.. Basically meat w/out the hamburger. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 4, 2011 at 3:07 PM
Quoting KamsOne:

We go out for pizza.  Sometimes we'll make it at home.  And I love frozen pizza (Tony's brand) but I try not to buy it because it's soooooo bad for you!  Probably why it's so good.  ha ha.

I love peppers and onions on my pizza.  Vikki just likes cheese.  And Nick likes meaty pizza.

That's why I love "make your own pizza night", that way everyone gets what they want.  I usually buy the premade crusts (such as boboli) and I'll cut up toppings and we can just add whatever we like to them.

I like "make your own pizza night". I either get fresh dough from the bakery at my grocery store, Publix, or buy the little packages of pizza dough mix, I think it's Chef Boyardee. I put out the fixins, and we make what we like. I'm the only one who likes anchovies, so everyone is happy.

SoniaL
by on Apr. 4, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Here is the recipe I use. Except I use 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 unbleachd white flour.  I have 4 kids and a DH so I double the recipe and make 3 pizzas and a pan of breadsticks w/ it.

http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/honey-whole-wheat-pizza-dough-3912

We usually do one cheese, one black olive and one pineapple.  Take out pizza is so greasy, heavy and salty it makes me feel sick ever since I started eating really healthy.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I LOVE PIZZA!!!!  We usually order it out.....I saw a recipe in an old cookbook of mine that you make on a cookie sheet using bisquik.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM

We sometimes go out for pizza, at the little one's request. She tells me that Friday night is Pizza Night for lots of her friends at school.  When DH was growing up, Friday night was always pizza night for his family-but his traditional Italian family only ordered cheese pizza, because they still adhered to the "no meat on Friday" rule, and he didn't like vegetables (thought he eats them all now) and no one liked fish.

Serenity75
by on Apr. 4, 2011 at 8:33 PM

We do all of the above, depending.  Most of the time we get a take-n-bake.

Kimberly954
by Kim on Apr. 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Most times we go out for pizza. I only make my own if I can find rice cheese (right now the whole foods isnt very close to me).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)