Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OK, give me ideas!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM
  • 17 Replies

I have 3lbs of bananas.....they were on sale for 26 cents for all 3 lbs at Sams Club. Well, we are going out of town tomorrow. What should I do with the bananas?? (Besides plain old banana bread). Also, I have seen someone on TV just cut them into chunks and freeze them but wouldnt they turn brown doing that??? When I used to make dd's baby food i would puree them and freeze and they turned so brown.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acaisha
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM

if you freeze them they will turn brown but you can still use them for baking. I just put mine in the freezer as is.. no bag nothing.. in the peel.. then microwave them for 1-2 minutes and the banana slides out of the peel. Other then that.. make some loaves and freeze them?

Undomesticated
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:21 AM

You could do muffins:

**Banana Nut

**Banana & Chocolate Chip

Pancakes, Waffles.

All these things you could pre-make and freeze for later.

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I wanted something I could freeze.....

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I freeze them in the skin, then inside ziplock bags, they're great for baking or smoothies. Muffins and bread freeze well, as does banana cake.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 / teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 -3 ripe large bananas, mashed
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt
2/3 cup semi-sweet mini morsels chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 13x9x2" baking pan. In large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt. In another bowl, using mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in bananas. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Beat in flour mixture into butter mix. Stir in sour cream. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or till toothpick in center comes out clean. Transfer cake to wire rack and cool completely.
Notes: Can be served plain or with a dollop of whipped cream on top. For a fancy but easy plating - warm a jar of chocolate fudge ice-cream topping in the microwave for a few seconds, pour some on a dessert plate, place a square of the cake on top, a dollop of whipped cream (or cool whip) on top, a couple slices of banana, a few mini-chocolate chips and a drizzle of the topping over all! I also like to top this with Cream Cheese frosting, Peanut Butter Frosting or Chocolate Frosting-all are good.

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Hm, ok, I guess i will just freeze them in skin. Do they turn brown?

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Banana Nut Cake

2 ½ cups flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 ¼ cups mashed banana (2-½ medium)
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chopped nuts
Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 13x9x2" pan. Beat all ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat at high-speed 3 minutes. Pour into pan. Bake 45-50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely. Smooth peanut butter frosting on top.
Peanut Butter Frosting

1/3 cup peanut butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
¼-1/3 cup milk
Mix peanut butter and powdered sugar in large bowl. Stir in vanilla and milk. Beat until smooth.

CashsMama
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Dip them in chocolate and then freeze them!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM

These are very moist and keep well. I often freeze them and take out as needed to microwave for a quick breakfast.

Banana-Walnut Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 egg
2 1/2 Tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin tins or use paper liners. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine banana, melted butter, egg and milk. Add to dry ingredients and stir just till moistened. Do not overmix. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin., filling cups 3/4 full. Bake 25 minutes or till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:03 PM

If you don't want plain Banana bread, Banana bread with pineapple and macadamia nuts added is yummy! I also like it made with pecans. Next time I make it, I think I'm going to try adding coconut to the mix. I'm making the zucchini variation tonight.

Hawaiian Banana Nut Bread
3 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts or pecans
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups mashed bananas
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Combine first 5 ingredients. Stir in pecans. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.

Carrot-pineapple nut bread: substitute 2 cups grated carrots for 2 cups bananas.
Zucchini-pineapple nut bread: substitute 2 cups shredded zucchini for 2 cups bananas.

periwinkle163
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Banana cookies  are so good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)