Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Banana Cookies

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM
  • 10 Replies
So after asking about something banana today, I made these banana cookies. They came out VERY good and my 1 year old already had 2 cookies!
My substitutions: I used 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour to try to make them healthier. I also just used all vanilla, no banana extract. And I sprinkled the tops with just cinnimon and left off that extra sugar.
The only other thing I would like would be to reduce the sugar content. Does anyone know if I can replace half the sugar with a substitute, like applesauce??

Banana Drops Recipe

Banana Drops

By: Ariel 
"A fruity cookie that melts in your mouth. For those who love bananas, you can replace the vanilla extract with more banana extract."

Original Recipe Yield 5 dozen

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 7/8 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon banana extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium size mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar with cinnamon, set aside.
  3. In a medium size mixing bowl, beat together 3/4 cup brown sugar with the butter or margarine, vanilla and banana extract until the mixture is light in texture. Beat in the eggs. Mix in the banana. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the egg, banana and sugar mixture. Fold in nuts. Drop the dough by teaspoonful onto the prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle the cookies with the mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon prepared earlier.
  4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:34 PM

those look really good but idk about your ? 

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM

They taste like a fluffy piece of banana bread thats extra sweet!

Quoting KaylaMillar:

those look really good but idk about your ? 

acaisha
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM

these look good.. I wonder if you could skip the banana extract if you don't have any

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I did. I just doubled the vanilla instead.

Quoting acaisha:

these look good.. I wonder if you could skip the banana extract if you don't have any

rocamom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I have GOT to make these this weekend because my son LOVES cookies but hates chocolate so I'm always looking for different cookies to make.  Thanks for posting!!

acaisha
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I would just drop the sugar and not replace it.. replacing sugar with apple sauce becomes a problem because of the difference in moisture content. It's normally a good replacement for oil/butter etc. 7/8ths is a weird measurement anyway imo.. I would go with 1/2 a cup and I doubt you would notice any difference especially with the bananas in it because they are already sweet.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Adam is the same way although he tells ppl he's allergic to chocolate that's how much he doesn't like it BUT he LOVES hot chocolate go figure!  I'll have to make these and take some up to him!

Quoting rocamom:

I have GOT to make these this weekend because my son LOVES cookies but hates chocolate so I'm always looking for different cookies to make.  Thanks for posting!!

periwinkle163
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM

We always put chocolate chips in ours, they do have an odd texture to them when I make them, but my kiddos love them.

skittles2011
by on Apr. 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM

i think splenda makes a brown sugar substitute. that may cut some of the calories without changing flavor

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Recipe tucked into Recipes, Recipes, Recipes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)