Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week, April 17: Carrot Cake

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM
  • 5 Replies

Food historians tell us that the origins of carrot cake were likely a type of carrot pudding enjoyed during medieval times. Later, during the Middle Ages, sweetening agents were hard to come by in Britain and quite expensive, so as a result, carrots were often used in place of sweeteners. Despite being such a longstanding mainstay in Europe, American cookbooks didn't start listing carrot cake recipes until the early 1900s. And, it was actually in the 1960s before carrot cake began becoming a more common cake in the United States.

Most all carrot cake recipes have a core group of ingredients in common: flour, sugar, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, salt), baking soda/powder, butter or oil, nuts, and of course carrots. For carrot cake frostings, some people still prefer their carrot cake with cream-cheese frosting.

Some hints:  The amount of carrots you put into a carrot cake recipe will affect both the texture and taste of the cake. Using pureed carrots as opposed to shredding raw carrots will give your carrot cake a denser, heavier texture.Using oil instead of butter will make it much more moist.
After trying many different recipes, the following is the one that I like best. The recipe looks long, but there's nothing hard about it.

Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake 
2 cups all- purpose flour
2 teaspoons soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 eggs, well beaten
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon rum flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups grated carrots
1 (3 1/2 oz) can flaked coconut
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup chopped pecans
Combine flour, soda, salt and cinnamon' set aside. Combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sugar, rum and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in flour mixture, pineapple, carrots, coconut, golden raisins and chopped pecans. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9" round cake pans.

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately spread Buttermilk Glaze evenly over layers. Cool in pans 15 minutes; remove from pans, and let cool completely. Spread Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Store cake in refrigerator.

Buttermilk Glaze:
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon soda
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup butter
1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
1 teaspoon rum flavoringCombine sugar, soda, buttermilk, butter, and corn syrup in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 4 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and rum

Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting
½ cup butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon orange juiceCombine butter and cream cheese, beating until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, powdered sugar, rind and juice, beat until smooth.

Notes: you can use regular raisins if you like, or leave them out. Also can leave out coconut or nuts, or use walnuts or macadamia nuts instead. I line the pans with waxed paper or parchment paper. Use the pan to draw a circle on the paper, cut it out, place in pan and grease and flour it. Makes the cake, which is very tender, easy to remove from pan.

by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
VanBurren
by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Carrot cake is one of my comfort foods!  Mom used to make carrot cake all the time; in fact, I don't remember her ever making any other kind of cake!  This is my ultimate make-me-feel-good-all-over cake to go to!

KamsOne
by Jen on Apr. 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM
I have never made a carrot cake. I will have to try this.
mom-of-two9698
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 10:13 PM

My dd and I want to make a carrot cake for Easter.  I think we will try this recipe!!!

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Apr. 18, 2011 at 10:50 PM

i'm not a fan of carrot cake! 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Let me know if you try it, and better have copies of the recipe. Anytime I make it for a gathering, everyone wants the recipe.

Quoting mom-of-two9698:

My dd and I want to make a carrot cake for Easter.  I think we will try this recipe!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN