Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dutch Oven & an Electric Stovetop

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM
  • 6 Replies

This may be a really stupid question, but here it goes...

I've never had an electric stove before. I've always used gas. Can I use a dutch oven on a stovetop with electric burners? And if so, how does that work?

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
starlight1968
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:54 PM

what is the dutch oven made of?

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Is it a ceramic or glass top or is it an electric element? If it's an element, then it shouldn't be a problem, if it's a smooth top, it could be, depending on what the dutch oven is made of.

SlightlyPerfect
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM

It's a cast-iron dutch oven (but it's got a porcelain enamel finish), and our stove is an electric range (not glass).

Can I use it on one or two burners on the stove? The size of some in the set doesn't make certain ones long enough for two burners, but one burner may not heat it enough.

(This is the first time we've rented a place in a long time, so I cant just get a gas unit like I want, and it's driving me bonkers!!!)

Quoting SweetLuci:

Is it a ceramic or glass top or is it an electric element? If it's an element, then it shouldn't be a problem, if it's a smooth top, it could be, depending on what the dutch oven is made of.

Katiecabooble
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM

We have an electric range and use our dutch oven (cast iron w/ enamel) all the time.  The only problem we have is that our biggest burner doesn't always heat evenly, so we have to turn the dutch oven periodically to make sure we don't get scorched spots.  Also, our "low" setting barely works.  My biggest advise is make some stuff and get to know how the burner heats and how your temperature settings work to make sure your food comes out.

CafeMom Tickers
SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM

You can use it just like you did on your old stove. I think one burner should be fine, but you can try and see which works best for you.  Anything that you did on your gas stove , you do on the electric. The electric just takes longer to come up to temp. And when you turn the burner off, there will still be residual heat there, unlike a gas stove, when you turn it on-it's on; when you turn it off, it's off. It will take a little getting used to, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Just watch carefully until you get used to it.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

It's a cast-iron dutch oven (but it's got a porcelain enamel finish), and our stove is an electric range (not glass).

Can I use it on one or two burners on the stove? The size of some in the set doesn't make certain ones long enough for two burners, but one burner may not heat it enough.

(This is the first time we've rented a place in a long time, so I cant just get a gas unit like I want, and it's driving me bonkers!!!)

Quoting SweetLuci:

acaisha
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:09 AM

I have one of those and I use it on my electric flat top stove

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)