Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the week, April 24: Deviled Eggs

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:15 AM
  • 10 Replies

Eggs have been known to, and enjoyed by, humans for many centuries. Jungle fowl were domesticated in India by 3200 B.C.E. Records from China and Egypt show that fowl were domesticated and laying eggs for human consumption around 1400 B.C.E., and there is archaeoligical evidence for egg consumption dating back to the Neolithic age. The first domesticated fowl reached North America with the second voyage of Columbus in 1493

It is likely that female game birds were, at some time in the early history of man, perceived as a source both of meat and of eggs. Men discovered that by removing from the nest eggs that they did not wish to have hatch (or that they simply wished to eat), they could induce the female jungle fowl to lay additional eggs and, indeed, to continue to lay eggs throught an extended laying season."

No foodstuff was more commonly consumed in the Middle Ages than chicken eggs--with the single exception of bread...Eggs in particular were vitally important in the cookery of the time in part simply because they were common and relatively cheap.

It seems the first recipe for what we now call Deviled Eggs was written by Apicius  in the year 329. [Modern interpretation] Prick a hole in each egg to let out the air, which might break the egg during boiling. Put the eggs into cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for about 5 minutes, then leave to cool. Peel the eggs and cut them in half. For 5 eggs, finely crush 1 clove of garlic with some pepper and 5 anchovies. Add the egg yolks and pound smooth. Add a little olive oil and a little wine and stir well. Pile the mixture into the egg whites."
Escoffier in  1295, gave us this description, which is not much different that what we do today: Oeufs Durs--Hard-boiled Eggs
Although the cooking of hard-boiled eggs may seem to be an insignificant operation the correct timing of the cooking is essential. It is of no use to cook them for longer than the exact time because overcooking will toughen the white and disclour the yolk. To ensure a uniform cooking time for a number of eggs, place them into a basket or receptacle with large holes and immerse completely in a pan of boiling water; when it reboils allow 8 minutes for medium eggs and 10 minutes for large ones. As soon as they are cooked, remove and plunge them immediately into cold water; shell the eggs without breaking them.

The word deviled first appeared in print in 1786:
Deviled...Any variety of dishes prepared with hot seasonings, such as cayenne or mustard. The word derives from the association with the demon who dwells in hell.

So how do you boil your eggs? What's your recipe for Deviled Eggs? Will you be having them for Easter? Do you use the leftover colored eggs to make them?

by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:16 AM

This is the way I do mine

Deviled Eggs
6 eggs
2 Tablespoon mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoonLawrey’s Seasoned Salt
Dash of Black Pepper

Place eggs in saucepan, cover with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Add 1teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon vinegar. Remove from heat, and cover with lid. Let stand 18 minutes. Drain. Run cold water over to cool. Hit each egg all over with the back of a spoon to crack shell and loosen. Replace in water. Peel eggs. Cut in half length-wise. Remove yolks and place in small bowl. Mash with a fork. Mix in mayonnaise, mustard, salt & pepper. Should be creamy consistency. Cut a thin slice off bottom of each egg white (so they won’t slip-slide on the plate). Use teaspoon to fill eggs or place mixture in a zip-lock bag, seal bag (squeeze out air), snip off a bit of one bottom corner and using it like a pastry bag, squeeze the filling out into the egg white hollows. Any left over mixture can be put in potato salad, or on crackers for cook’s treat. Very pretty with a bit of Lawrey’s Seasoned Salt or paprika sprinkled on top and a sprig of fresh dill or chopped parsley, a slice of olive or bacon bits.

KamsOne
by Jen on Apr. 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM

What a great way to use up leftover colored Easter eggs!

We don't eat eggs in our house (unless they are scrambled) so I've never made deviled eggs.

epoh
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:29 PM
My mom makes hers this way. I like them garnished with paprika and capers.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Deviled Eggs
6 eggs
2 Tablespoon mayonnaise
Dash of Black Pepper

Place eggs in saucepan, cover with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Add 1teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon vinegar. Remove from heat, and cover with lid. Let stand 18 minutes. Drain. Run cold water over to cool. Hit each egg all over with the back of a spoon to crack shell and loosen. Replace in water. Peel eggs. Cut in half length-wise. Remove yolks and place in small bowl. Mash with a fork. Mix in mayonnaise, mustard, salt & pepper. Should be creamy consistency. Cut a thin slice off bottom of each egg white (so they won’t slip-slide on the plate). Use teaspoon to fill eggs or place mixture in a zip-lock bag, seal bag (squeeze out air), snip off a bit of one bottom corner and using it like a pastry bag, squeeze the filling out into the egg white hollows. Any left over mixture can be put in potato salad, or on crackers for cook’s treat. Very pretty with a bit of Lawrey’s Seasoned Salt or paprika sprinkled on top and a sprig of fresh dill or chopped parsley, a slice of olive or bacon bits.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Serenity75
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I use a similar recipe except I also add a couple teaspoons of honey. 

Quoting SweetLuci:

Deviled Eggs
6 eggs
2 Tablespoon mayonnaise
Dash of Black Pepper

acaisha
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I have never made them but love eating them!!! Might have to make some :D

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Very interesting. Never heard of that before. I'll have to try it.

Quoting Serenity75:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Deviled Eggs
6 eggs
2 Tablespoon mayonnaise
Dash of Black Pepper

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 28, 2011 at 9:44 AM

My sister adds relish to hers, and they're good too. Does anyone else do that?

Serenity75
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM

My family can't get enough of them -lol. 

Quoting SweetLuci:

Very interesting. Never heard of that before. I'll have to try it.

Quoting Serenity75:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Deviled Eggs
6 eggs
2 Tablespoon mayonnaise
Dash of Black Pepper

Serenity75
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I've heard of doing that, but I've persoanlly tried it.  Sounds good, though :)

Quoting SweetLuci:

My sister adds relish to hers, and they're good too. Does anyone else do that?

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I have a friend that always puts a slice of olive on hers. It does make them look pretty, and tastes good, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)