Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the week: May 8-Peanut Butter

Posted by on May. 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM
  • 34 Replies

There are many claims about the origin of peanut butter. Africans ground peanuts into stews as early as the 15th century. The Chinese have crushed peanuts into creamy sauces for centuries. Civil War soldiers dined on 'peanut porridge.' These uses, however, bore little resemblance to peanut butter as it is known today.

In 1890, an unknown St. Louis physician supposedly encouraged the owner of a food products company, George A. Bayle Jr., to process and package ground peanut paste as a nutritious protein substitute for people with poor teeth who couldn't chew meat. Around the same time, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg in Battle Creek, Michigan, began experimenting with peanut butter as a vegetarian source of protein for his patients. The Kelloggs' patent for the "Process of Preparing Nut Meal" in 1895 described "a pasty adhesive substance that is for convenience of distinction termed nut butter." However, their peanut butter was not as tasty as peanut butter today because the peanuts were steamed, instead of roasted, prior to grinding. The Kellogg brothers turned their attention to cereals which eventually gained them worldwide recognition.

In 1903, Dr. George Washington Carver began his peanut research at Tuskeegee Institute in Alabama. While peanut butter had already been developed by then, Dr. Carver developed more than 300 other uses for peanuts and so improved peanut horticulture that he is considered by many to be the father of the peanut industry.

One of the first companies to adopt this new process was Swift & Company for its E.K. Pond peanut butter ~ renamed Peter Pan in 1928. In 1932, Rosefield had a dispute with Peter Pan and began producing peanut butter under the Skippy label the following year. Rosefield created the first crunchy style peanut butter two years later by adding chopped peanuts into creamy peanut butter at the end of the manufacturing process.

In 1955, Procter & Gamble entered the peanut butter business by acquiring W.T. Young Foods in Lexington, Kentucky, makers of Big Top Peanut Butter. They introduced Jif in 1958 and now operate the world's largest peanut butter plant ~ churning out 250,000 jars every day!

What's your favorite way to enjoy it? In a sandwich or in a dessert like peanut butter cookies?

by on May. 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimberly954
by on May. 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I really dont eat peanut butter unless I am pregnant....at least not on a sandwich. The only other way I like PB is in a buckeye!

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2011 at 5:22 PM

MMM I made Peanut Butter Ice Cream for my sons bday last month. I dont eat a ton of PB but it is pretty darn tasty when I do. I make all kinds of cookies with it. My middle sons favorite breakfast  is a peanut butter and jelly breakfast cookie!

periwinkle163
by on May. 8, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I love peanut butter. I don't use it in cooking but I love to make peanut butter cookies.

KamsOne
by Jen on May. 8, 2011 at 11:01 PM
Very interesting!
KamsOne
by Jen on May. 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM
We love peanut butter here! DD eat pb&j almost every day for lunch. I like I in sandwiches, on toast and bagels, in recipes, even spoonfuls straight out of the jar! Even our puppy loves it.
ashleyfm
by on May. 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM
We love peanut butter!! My husband eats pb everyday. My fav right now is wheat waffles, peabutbutter and a banana sliced on top. Yumo! We also love peanutbutter chicken, cookies,cake etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I love peanut butter.  I eat it on toast, sandwiches, crackers., etc.  I love peanut butter cookies!!!  My favorite brand is Peter Pan but I usually buy the largest Great Value (Walmart) size jar.

got to post this 3 ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe....some of you may have seen this one a lot...I've never tried it but have it in my collection and posting it in honor of "peanut butter" ingredient of the week:)

3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies - grouprecipes.com
    * 1 cup peanut butter-creamy or chunky
    * 1 large egg
    * 1 cup granulated sugar

1. Beat the egg slightly
2. Add the peanut butter and sugar-mix well
3. Drop by the teaspoon full onto an ungreased cookie sheet
4. Smash the dough down with the tines of a fork making a cross-hatch pattern
5. Bake at 350 degrees until the edges begin to appear dry-approximately 6-10 minutes depending on your oven)

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM

from my collection too.

3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Drop Cookies with Kisses - food.com
SERVES 12 -14 , 10 med/lg size

* 1 cup smooth peanut butter or crunchy peanut butter
    * 1 large egg
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 (12 ounce) bag of your choice Hershey's chocolate kisses

1. Preheat oven 325°F.
2. Mix really well in medium bowl with whisk or fork,.
3. Blend together peanut butter, sugar, and egg till smooth.
4. Spoon on non-greased cookie sheet using tablespoon. Can shape round, flatten just a tad. Bake till cookies crack on edge and get a little golden. approximately 6-8 minutes,.depending on your oven temperature.
5. While warm shove a Hershey's Kiss in the center cool and put on a plate.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on May. 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM

we love pb!  I use it in cookies, sandwhiches, pb balls...yum!

kr.shelby
by on May. 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

what is peanut butter chicken?

Quoting ashleyfm:

We love peanut butter!! My husband eats pb everyday. My fav right now is wheat waffles, peabutbutter and a banana sliced on top. Yumo! We also love peanutbutter chicken, cookies,cake etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN