Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipe of the Week: May 8-Macaroni Salad

Posted by on May. 8, 2011 at 1:17 PM
  • 13 Replies

Macaroni salad, as we Americans know it today, descends from a long line of purposely dressed macaroni dishes, both hot and cold. Dressings (oil/vinegar, mayonnaise, cream sauces) and additions (vegetables, herbs, spices) varied according to culture and cuisine. In early 20th century we begin to find recipes for macaroni salad in American cookbooks. These were typically dressed with mayonnaise and served in cold molded presentations. Think: perfect domes of chilled macaroni salad served as "sides" in diners & delis.

It is often served as an accompaniment to barbecues or  other picnic style entrees. Like any dish, national and regional variations abound but generally it is prepared with raw diced onions and celery, sometimes green peppers, pimientos, peas or other vegetables. Canned tuna  is also a very popular ingredient.

In the  state of Hawaii, along with a scoop of rice, a scoop of macaroni salad is often served with plate lunches. Locals in Hawaii often refer to macaroni salad as "mac sal" or "mac salad". The salad itself is usually just elbow macaroni and a heaping portion of mayonnaise.

How do you like yours? What do you put in it?

by on May. 8, 2011 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimberly954
by Kim on May. 8, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I have never been a fan of macaroni salad.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on May. 8, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I use mustard, mayo, celery, onions and hard boiled eggs in mine. I also make one that has tuna, mayo, and green onions for my dh. It's not my favorite but every once in awhile I get a craving.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on May. 8, 2011 at 8:35 PM

My mil makes one that uses little o macaroni. It is so good. It has mayo, cucumber, tomato and hard boiled eggs in it.

OliviaW.
by on May. 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Quoting Kimberly954:

I have never been a fan of macaroni salad.

Same here. I just never developed a taste for it.

KamsOne
by Jen on May. 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM
I like macaroni salad....as long as it does not have mayo in it.
SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

This is one of my favorites

Macaroni Salad

8 oz. elbow macaroni

2 cups mayonnaise or reduced-fat mayonnaise

2 Tablespoons vinegar

1 Tablespoon mustard

1 Tablespoon sugar

½ teaspoon salt or Seasoned Salt

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

1 ½ cups sliced celery

1 ½ cups chopped sweet red or green pepper

½ cup sliced green onion or ¾ cup Vidalia onion

¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water to cool quickly; drain well. In large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir in cooled pasta and remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate. Makes 6-10 servings.

Variation: Add small cubes of cheese and ham or diced bacon and sliced stuffed olives and diced sweet pickles.

elijahsmama09
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Macaroni Salad:

1 C. Elbow Macaroni, cooked and cooled.
1/2 red onion, minced
2 green onions, minced(all parts used)
1 can tuna, drained
1 can peas(or about 1 c, frozen, thawed.)
2 ribs celery, chopped fine
1 tbsp parsley, minced
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/8 tsp dried thyme
S/P
Miracle WHip

In a large bowl flake the tuna with a fork. Add the lemon juice, thyme, and salt and
pepper to taste. Add the onion, celery, parsley, and macaroni . Combine. Add the egg.
Stir. Add enough Miracle whip for the salad to be wet. No one likes this salad dry,
so do not be stingy. Lastly add the peas, and gently fold in so you don't mush them.

This recipe can be doubled, tripled, and so on very easily. In fact I never make less than
 a double batch. One varition of this, if you hate miracle whip is too use Hellmans Mayo.
It is still good, but the Miracle Whip makes it fantastic. If I make the mayo based one, I
add a little chopped green olives for a little salty punch. Or if you prefer a sweeter version add piccailli relish to taste. 

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2011 at 12:41 AM

I like it but have never made it....I remember my mother making it all the time....

found this at cooks.com

MACARONI-CHEDDAR CHEESE SALAD - cooks.com
2 c. uncooked spiral macaroni
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. minced yellow or Vidalia onion
1 tsp. dry mustard
Mayonnaise to taste

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Combine with eggs, onion, cheddar cheese, and dry mustard. Mix in mayonnaise just before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley.

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM

My DIL makes macaroni salad with just tuna and mayonnaise. This one sounds more flavorful to me.

Quoting elijahsmama09:

Macaroni Salad:

1 C. Elbow Macaroni, cooked and cooled.
1/2 red onion, minced
2 green onions, minced(all parts used)
1 can tuna, drained
1 can peas(or about 1 c, frozen, thawed.)
2 ribs celery, chopped fine
1 tbsp parsley, minced
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/8 tsp dried thyme
S/P
Miracle WHip

In a large bowl flake the tuna with a fork. Add the lemon juice, thyme, and salt and
pepper to taste. Add the onion, celery, parsley, and macaroni . Combine. Add the egg.
Stir. Add enough Miracle whip for the salad to be wet. No one likes this salad dry,
so do not be stingy. Lastly add the peas, and gently fold in so you don't mush them.

This recipe can be doubled, tripled, and so on very easily. In fact I never make less than
 a double batch. One varition of this, if you hate miracle whip is too use Hellmans Mayo.
It is still good, but the Miracle Whip makes it fantastic. If I make the mayo based one, I
add a little chopped green olives for a little salty punch. Or if you prefer a sweeter version add piccailli relish to taste. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 10, 2011 at 9:44 AM

This sounds good.

Quoting delanna6two:

I like it but have never made it....I remember my mother making it all the time....

found this at cooks.com

MACARONI-CHEDDAR CHEESE SALAD - cooks.com
2 c. uncooked spiral macaroni
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. minced yellow or Vidalia onion
1 tsp. dry mustard
Mayonnaise to taste

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Combine with eggs, onion, cheddar cheese, and dry mustard. Mix in mayonnaise just before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)