Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week, May 15: Blueberry Muffins

Posted by on May. 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

According to the Dictionary of American Regional English, Frederick G. Cassidy and Joan Houston Hall, editors, muffins are defined as "A small cake; a cupcake." The first print reference to muffins was in "1879: Tyree, Housekeeping in Olde Virginia, 38, "Another recipe for muffins...make the batter the consistency of pound cake, and bake in snow-ball cups as soon as made.

Even into the early part of the 20th century, muffin recipes are few and basic. In 1920s recipes for muffins became more prolific, but were variations on the same basic theme of nuts, dried fruits and different flours (Graham, corn, rice, potato, etc.). Muffins with meat (Ham-and-Bacon Muffins) and vegetables (Squash, Pumpkin, or Sweet Potato Muffins) are also included. Mrs. Allen on Cooking, Menus, Service, Ida Bailey Allen [1929] lists 23 different muffin recipes. The 1946 edition of Irma Rombauer's Joy of Cooking lists 19 different muffin recipes including directions for fresh fruit muffins (blueberry, apple, cranberry).  

It is doubtful that you will be able to trace the exact place where blueberry muffins were invented, but we can make some assumptions. First, true blueberries are native to North America, bilberries (a similar type of berry) are native to Central and Northern Europe. European settlers adapted their recipes (muffins, cakes, breads & use of fresh/dried fruits) to New World foodstuffs out of necessity. Therefore, anyplace where blueberries (they would have been the wild variety, not the plump, juicy berries we are used to seeing in the stores) grew, blueberry muffins might have been made. In the New World blueberries grew from North Carolina to Nova Scotia. Native Americans also used blueberries in their foods.

Do you make BlueBerry Muffins? Do you use a box mix or make them from scratch? If so , please share your recipe

by on May. 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
periwinkle163
by on May. 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM

I always make them from a box. It's lazy I know but they always seem to turn out better.

OliviaW.
by on May. 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Honestly, I'm getting lazy and using a box now. I used to make them from scratch but I haven't for a while.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I love blueberry muffins!!!  I like to add grape jam or eat them plain.  I've never made them homemade.  I mostly use Jiffy Mix or Martha White Mix or whatever store brand......I also use the mix and just make a muffin bread in an 8x8 pan or 13x9 pan sometimes.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Yummy Blueberry Muffins - jiffymix.com

(12 Muffins)

• 2 pkgs. "JIFFY" Blueberry Muffin Mix
  • 4 oz. cream cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400°, grease muffin pan or use paper liners.

Cut cream cheese into muffin mix. Add eggs, milk and vanilla.  Pour into prepared muffin pan. Bake 15-18 minutes.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    Jiffy Blueberry Muffins (water recipe) recipes.sparkpeople.com

1 pkg. JIFFY Blueberry Muffin Mix

2 egg whites
    1/4 cup water

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 400°.
2) Spray muffin pans with cooking oil or use paper baking cups.
3) BLEND all ingredients. Batter should be lumpy.
4) Fill cups ½ full.
BAKE 13-15 minutes or till golden brown.

KamsOne
by Jen on May. 16, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I don't think I've ever made blueberry muffins!  Although I should because dh and dd love them!

rocamom
by on May. 16, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I LOVE making blue berry muffins from scratch with FRESH picked blueberries YUMMY!!!

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 17, 2011 at 10:33 AM

This only makes 6 muffins, but they are really delicious. I got the recipe from a Bed & Breakfast place in Key West.

The Very Best Blueberry Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

1/3 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

Topping:

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

2 Tablespoons butter, cubed

1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

Combine 1 1/2   cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Add vanilla. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 2 Tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)