Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week, May 15: Sour Cream

Posted by on May. 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

Sour Cream is a dairy procuct that is obtained by fermenting cream by using  certain kinds of  lactic-acid bacteria. This sours and thickens the cream. Its name stems from the production of lactic acid by bacterial fermentation, which is called souring.

How do you use it? Do you put it on a baked potato, or nachos or use it in dips or salad dressings? Do you use it in making cakes, biscuits or scones or other baked goods? Please share your favorite recipes.

by on May. 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM

mmm...mmm...love some sour cream!!!  I use it on tacos, baked potatoes, in banana pudding and for various toppings...

SOUR CREAM BANANA PUDDING - cooks.com

2 (3 oz.) pkg. instant vanilla pudding
2 boxes vanilla wafers
6 to 8 bananas
5 c. milk
8 oz. sour cream
12 oz. Cool Whip

Mix pudding and milk together until it starts to thicken. Add sour cream and a little less than 1/2 container of Cool Whip (reserve remaining Cool Whip for topping). Make layers, beginning with vanilla wafers, then bananas and pudding, then remaining Cool Whip on top. Sprinkle with vanilla wafer crumbs. This makes a large quantity. Put in 13 x 9 or roasting dish.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Sour Cream Muffins - muffinandbreadrecipes.com
2 c baking mix
½ c melted margarine
1 c sour cream

Preheat oven to 425. Combine baking mix, margarine and sour cream in bowl; stir just until mixed. Fill greased muffin cups ¾ full. Bake for 12 – 15 mintues. Makes 12.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I LOVE sour cream. Above all else it has to be Darigold Mexican Sour Cream though. I make dips, salad dressing , I dip tortilla chips or taquitos in it alone. Toppings on my chili, burritos, tacos, mexican lasagnas.

I use it to bake with to give baked goods a moist texture. Chocolate sour cream cake is fantastic!

Sour Cream Chicken Quiche is a yummy favorite here.

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 17, 2011 at 1:34 PM

This recipe is from Barefoot Contessa Parties Cookbook. It's delicious

Sour Cream Coffeecake

1 ½ sticks unsalted butter (room temp)

11/2 cup sugar

4 lg. Eggs, room temperature

1 ½ tsp. vanilla

1 ¼ cup sour cream

2 ½ cup cake flour

2 tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. kosher salt

Streusel

¾ cup lt. Brown sugar, packed

½ cup all-purpose flour

1 ½ tsp. cinnamon

¼ tsp. kosher salt

3 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut in pieces

3/4 c. walnuts, chopped (optional)

Glaze

½ cup confectioners sugar

2 Tablespoon real maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 10’ tube pan

Cream butter & sugar in bowl of electric mixer with paddle attachment for 4-5 min. till light. Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and sour cream. In separate bowl-sift flour, Brown Sugar, and Salt. With mixer on low, add this to batter until just combined. Finish stirring with spatula to make sure batter is combined completely. Streusel-place brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt & butter in bowl & pinch together with fingers until it forms a crumble. Mix in nuts if desired. Spoon half of batter in pan and spread it out. Sprinkle on ¾ cup streusel. Spoon rest of batter in pan, spread and scatter remaining streusel on top. Bake 50-60 min or till cake tester comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack at least 30 min. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up onto serving plate. Whish conf. Sugar and syrup together, adding a few drops of water if needed to make glaze runny. Drizzle on with fork.

KamsOne
by Jen on May. 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM

We are not big fans.  :(

The only thing I ever use sour cream for is to make dip for chips, and even this is very rare.  Once in a while I'll come across a recipe that uses it and I don't mind it in recipes but I can't eat it on my potatoes or nachos.  Yuck.

OliviaW.
by on May. 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I don't use it. I'm allergic to it.

TRswifey
by on May. 17, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I use sour cream in cheesecakes and potatoe soup....just gotta find those recipes!

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on May. 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I'm not a big fan of it.  I do put it in loaded mashed potatoe casserole, tacos for dh, nachos...

periwinkle163
by on May. 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I use it for a lot of things, dips, taco, nachos, potatoes mashed and baked. I've added to soups and casseroles, and even some cakes. It is a really versatile ingredient.

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 18, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I think so, too. I'm surprised that some people don't like it.

Quoting periwinkle163:

I use it for a lot of things, dips, taco, nachos, potatoes mashed and baked. I've added to soups and casseroles, and even some cakes. It is a really versatile ingredient.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN