• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

National Eggs Benedict Day

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

A History of Eggs Benedict
by
JHC

There are at least two stories about the original eggs Benedict, though both date to 1890’s New York City.

New York City

One story names Delmonico’s as the point of origin, in 1893. A Mrs LeGrand Benedict (and possibly her husband) were tired of the usual fare at the restaurant, and negotiated the new dish with the help of the maître d’hôtel.

Serving eggs Benedict at the Waldorf-Astoria

The more interesting story credits Mr Lemuel Benedict, who requested toast, bacon, poached eggs, and a small pitcher of hollandaise to help treat a hangover one morning in 1894 at the Waldorf-Astoria. If true, Mr Benedict also appears to have been the first to recognize the therapeutic effects of eggs Benedict.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KamsOne
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM

We are not really egg eaters.  Occasionally we'll have scrambled but that is the only way we'll eat them.

But I remember my stepmom making eggs benedict for breakfast every Christmas morning after presents were opened.  Breakfast would be eggs benedict, English muffins with jam and Canadian bacon.

epoh
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM
I've never made it before!

But this was helpful because one of my friends posted on FB that she made eggs florentine for breakfast. I had to let her know that today is eggs Benedict day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM

HAPPY EGGS BENEDICT DAY EVERYBODY!!!!!bouncing

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I have never tried that, but have always wanted too.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM

My sister loves Eggs Benedict, I often make it when she comes to visit. We love the crab cake variation.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Here's an easy recipe

4 slices Canadian bacon
1 teaspoon white vinegar
4 eggs
1 cup butter
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 dash ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 English muffins, split and toasted

In a skillet over medium-high heat, fry the Canadian bacon on each side until evenly browned.

Fill a large saucepan with about 3 inches water, and bring to a simmer. Pour in the vinegar. Carefully break the 4 eggs into the water, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until whites are set but yolks are still soft. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon.

Meanwhile, melt the butter until bubbly in a small pan or in the microwave. Remove from heat before butter browns.

In a blender or large food processor, blend the egg yolks, heavy cream, cayenne pepper, and salt until smooth. Add half of the hot butter in a thin steady stream, slow enough so that it blends in at least as fast as you are pouring it in. Blend in the lemon juice using the same method, then the remaining butter.

Place open English muffins onto serving plates. Top with 1 slice Canadian bacon and 1 poached egg. Drizzle with the cream sauce, and serve at once.

Kimberly954
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I have never made it but I order it often when we go out for breakfast! YUM

nickischettino
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM
This is my favorite thing to eat so Yumm!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Serenity75
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I've eaten it before... wasn't as good as I had imagined it would be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)