Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you menu plan?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM
  • 22 Replies
I need to start I am gonna this next week any tips?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinamatt
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Yes.  I plan for a month at a time.

I would start with what your family likes to eat and decide what days you're going to serve what meals.

Kimberly954
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Yes but not so much that I know what i am having each day of the week. I have a list on the fridge of dinners we will have over the course of the week but I never know exactly which we will have until the night before.

Sarita33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM
I started to recently as we are now on a budget. I can't believe how much money we save this way. I always get 1 extra meal as some days I think we can eat the meal for 2 days (like lasagna), and we eat it all lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM

i usually 1.ask anybody what they want, 2. go through the grocery ads then make my list.

dntbgmeb4cofe
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I make one up every month now whether we stick to it or not that's another story.  I'd say it's 50/50 split.  

UrbanSoccerMom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM

hmmm... maybe i should start that... I just started my coupon binder... I have to get organized again, I used to be addicted to couponing... and now that I am working less I have no choice!

SuperPickle
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I sit down with my local ads and my fridge, freezer and panty lists and make a menu based on what I have on hand and what is on sale. I try to do at least 2 weeks and make a grocery list at the same time. I include stock up items that are on sale for future meal planing too.

I try to plan at least 2 meatless dinners a week then I alternate my meats. I get recipes from allrecipes.com, cooksrecipes.com, cooks.com my own blog cookinwithsuperpickle.blogspot.com. I take care not to have similar meals within several days of each other.

This week I have planned:

Homemade Ravioli's(my grandmas recipe! YUM) with fresh green beans

White Cheddar and Spinach Chicken Burgers

Navy Bean Soup in Crusty Cuban Bread Bowls

Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Turkey Tacos

Syra3.14159
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I do better when I have a schedule printed out on the refrigerator, but I always do my grocery shopping for the week on the weekend so I have to do some planning for that.

charla_r
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:05 AM

I plan our dinner meals a month at a time.  I typically shop at Aldi and the Commissary once a month so this is what works for us.  It does save us money.  I started by making a list of all the meals that my family really likes.  I typed the list and printed a copy to keep with my meal planning supplies (pen/pencil, blank calendar, blank shopping lists, etc).  I also look for a couple of new recipes to try each month and if my family likes them, I add them to my list.

epoh
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:50 AM
I menu plan. I know in the back of my head what meats and veggies I already have and plan my meals around that. Sometimes I have a recipe from CM bookmarked, sometimes I use clipped recipes, and sometimes I use cookbooks. I do weekly planning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)