Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do with bean sprouts

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:30 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a can of bean sprouts and I'm not sure what to do with them.  I've only ever had them on salads and I don't think they came from a can.  Anyone have a good recipe?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kimberly954
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Never seen them in a can. I have always just had them fresh but after reading somewhere that they are one of the HIGHEST with food poisoning contaminants (salmonella i think) I havent really eaten them anymore.

periwinkle163
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I've only had fresh ones on sandwiches, I didn't even realize they came canned.

starlight1968
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:16 PM

i add them to rice for chinese dinners

KamsOne
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:42 PM
Hmmm... They'd probably be good in a stir fry. I'm just kinda scared, I've never had them canned. Not sure if I'll like them.
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I've never used them before.  Here's a recipe I found at thriftyfun.com...it was from a discussion about a bean sprout recipe.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf94411802.tip.html

I grew up in the 60's. Here's the basic recipe:

1-lb. gd. Beef
1/2c. chopped Celery
1/2c. chopped Onion (Fry these 3 together in a pot)

Then add:
1-can sm. Bean Sprouts or Oriental Veg.
1-can ea. Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken soup (can also substitute Crm. of Onion soup) or *add if needed also. *(If you add the 3rd soup you will have to add more 1/2c. more rice and 1c. more water.)
1-c. uncooked Rice
2-c. water
2Tbl. Soy Sauce
Black pepper to taste

Mix all remaining ingredients to a simmer, cook until rice is done,stirring occasionally. may have to add a little more water if to thick during cooking. May also add additional soy sauce when serving.
Serve chow mein noodles over top.
Excellant in crock pot on low.

elijahsmama09
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:42 PM

You can also use them as a noodle sub, like for spaghetti. It sounds odd, but it is one of my favorite weightloss tricks. I like using it as a base of spaghetti. Also good is shredded cabbage, steamed in the micowave.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Rinse them well, that will help some. You can use them in salads, or stir fry or fried rice.

KaylaMillar
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:53 PM

through them in with a salad? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)